Page 2 of 67 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: School Board Candidates Blog

School Board Candidates

HERE'S ANOTHER LACKAWANNA STUDENT TO BE PROUD OF:

WNY ACADEMIC TEAM HONORS LACKAWANNA SENIOR

One senior from Lackawanna High School has been named to Business First's
    2010 All-Western New York Academic Team. Chang Guo (Special Mention) has qualified for this year's list of the 100 best and brightest high school seniors in the eight-county region.

Winners were chosen for their records of academic excellence, school leadership and community involvement. The top 25 were named to the First Team, 25 runners-up to the Second Team, and another 50 to the Special Mention list.

"This is an honor of true significance," said Jack Connors, president and publisher of Business First. "The Academic Team is an extraordinarily exclusive group. There are roughly 20,000 seniors in Western New York's high schools this year. Only 100 have met the incredibly stringent standards to make the Academic Team. That's the top one-half of one percent, the real cream of the crop."

Schools throughout the eight-county region were asked to nominate their smartest and most accomplished students for consideration by a nine-member committee, which included six admissions directors at area colleges and three Business First editors. A total of 112 schools responded with 386 nominees. (Each school was limited to four candidates.)

Quote Originally Posted by sunflower View Post
    The title of this blog is "School Board Candidates" -- out of curiosity, why aren't any of the school board candidates using it to voice their opinions, concerns or ask questions?
    You know, I kept asking this question over and over during the last election for LA city council! Wouldn't it be nice to vote for someone knowing a little more than that handout they stick in your door tells you about them?

School Board Candidates

I believe what happens is that some people get caught up in STAYING in office and feel that they somehow DESERVE to remain in that elected position. The voters would like something more than name calling, finger pointing, the blame game, and the political blah-blah-blah. The school district of 2010 is NOT the school district of 2003. There's no comparison. Legislation changes. School law changes. Federal funding changes. The Charter school keeps expanding one more grade level at the elementary level and now there will be a charter HIGH SCHOOL level. The issues are still the low ranking (98th), the low graduation rate, the high drop out rate, dealing with unions, trying to keep up with modern technology, plus trying to keep the kids focused, interested, challenged and SAFE. The kids need to be prepared to enter the workforce or to go into college and SUCCEED. That's not asking too much, is it?

Well Lisa Friend's article in this week's Front Page was not accurate. She states that she has done her research and her informaion tells her that students learn/behave best when they are in a standard uniform.

That part is correct. That is why, among other reasons, private schools require uniforms. Of course the obvious would hold true too that it would help to prevent anyone from being teased etc. because of what they have/wore or didn't have/wore. No argument there.

The problem with her slant on things is that she would now like to see Lackawanna students in uniform. This comment made me laugh out loud. This is a perfect example of why we rank at the bottom......Had she REALLY done her research she would know if it could happen, all the other school districts would be have done it long before a Lackawannian gave it a thought. That is the beauty of education. Look at the top performers...Clarence, Williamsville, Frontier, Hamburg etc. Do you not think they too would buy into this idea IF IT WERE POSSIBLE???? There is a reason they are at the top and it is NOT because their kids are smarter than ours!!!

West Seneca pushed this idea the furthest back in the 80's getting them right into court over it where it was thrown out due to a violation of one's constitutional rights, that being, FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION. Lisa must have missed this in her research! They tried to ban black tee shirts from schools because of gang symbols and intimidation of those not wearing the same. Thay wanted everyone in khaki pants and polo shirts......never happened!

So now the only school where this (mandatory uniform policy) is permitted would be Private, Charter (if so written in as a requirement), and any other school where parents would agree to do this voluntarily....but not all would have to conform. Bottom line- parents buy the clothes, not the schools. So, why would a parent send their child to school in inappropriate clothing? Do they not want their child to behave or learn? WHO owns the responsibility????

YES, people behave better when they dress better - not just KIDS!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I dont think Clarence or Williamsville Schools can be compared to Lackawanna Schools, personally I think it would be a great idea for some sort of uniform policy, being in the schools alot i see the pants down and underwear hanging out , hoodies , slippers, low cut shirts , flip flops, etc. Dont get me wrong , this would take alot of thought on how to implemnt some sort of uniform policy, but it should be at least though about and discussed. Also, most studies are controversial about uniform codes, but Schools that have implemented them have by an overwhelming majority say that they absolutely work.

Quote Originally Posted by lackawanna #1 View Post
    I dont think Clarence or Williamsville Schools can be compared to Lackawanna Schools, personally I think it would be a great idea for some sort of uniform policy, being in the schools alot i see the pants down and underwear hanging out , hoodies , slippers, low cut shirts , flip flops, etc. Dont get me wrong , this would take alot of thought on how to implemnt some sort of uniform policy, but it should be at least though about and discussed. Also, most studies are controversial about uniform codes, but Schools that have implemented them have by an overwhelming majority say that they absolutely work.
    Am I missing something here??? PUBLIC SCHOOLS cannot mandate uniforms...it is a violation of a person's constitutional right to express themselves!!!!!

If YOU are a parent...your kid left the house with his pants hanging down...it did not happen in school.Why would a parent allow that at home and expect something different in school????
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

School Board Candidates

Uniforms? Are you kidding me? Polo shirts and khakis? That's the answer?

A Dress Code would limit and permit certain apparel. I believe a uniform policy would have children revolting.

There is no one answer. The statement was based on RESEARCH that uniforms have been proven to be a positive factor in improving student behavior and learning..... Apparently dozens of Charter Schools (which are PUBLIC schools with a Charter that governs them) in New York have been having their students dress this way (khaki pants and polo shirts for both girls and boys) for years with GREAT SUCCESS! So I suppose that would be the answer for them!

Gee Sunflower, you are sounding more like a WEED than a SUN FLOWER!!!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

School Board Candidates

WEED? Too funny! The good thing, I suppose, is when a kid skips classes and is out wandering the streets at 11:00 in the morning, the polo shirt and khaki pants will be a dead giveaway that the kid is truant.

Not likely the kid will be in the uniform...he/she would probably rip it off and put on the REAL clothes as soon as they exited the school. How SAD to see kids skipping and there is no way to make them want to be in school to learn. Maybe it is time teachers teach differently? realize that not all kids learn the same? and stop sending kids home when they do not conform to the rules. There should be an Alternative school/place for kids suspended, chronic absentees etc. Everyone the excellent Williamsville School District has an Alternative School for their kids who have problems...it is called AIM...a separate place attached to the high school. We need something soon!!!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

HERE'S ANOTHER LACKAWANNA STUDENT TO BE PROUD OF:
    I say HORRAH to the average kid who gets up every day, goes to school and just does the right thing. They represent most of us average people on the bell curve. Yes, the few scholars/athletes get recognized and the problem students get noticed, BUT the every day average kid gets nothing and THEY ARE THE ONES TO BE TRULY PROUD OF!!!!! They get no special recognition or awards. They just do what they have to every single day because it is what they have to do. They have personal and family problems. They struggle, they hurt and they too need to be noticed and appreciated. They expect no recognition and sorry to say, we just expect them to be in the middle, like they are, causing no problems or attention....they are the TRUE heroes!!!
    Let's hear it for all THOSE GREAT KIDS!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I really want to say something here but since people think I am Cathy I do not want to hurt her chances on getting on the board so...... I can't really express myself colorfully with out some dumb dumb using it against her. But maybe we should hold the parents accountable and then just maybe the kids will show up. There are plenty of ways to hold the parents accountable.

Lol I said the same thing. Its not going to make a difference whatsoever...

Literal, I must admit.....I agree with you!

Page 2 of 67 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread Information