Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Fish Fry

Peoria doesn't have fish fry's, other than fried catfish (YUK!!)
    The other choice for fish is tilapia (double yuk!!)

That, seriously, are the only choces for fish here.
    God, I would kill for some walleye filets or a real fish fry....
    Let me articulate this for you:
    "I'm not locked in here with them. They're locked in here with me!!"
    HipKat's Blog

When I was a crazy teenager a million years ago, I went on a starvation diet. I did lose the weight, but the weird thing was that I had a recurring fish fry dream. I would have to say, only in Buffalo would this occur.

I was craving pizza last night, and because I noticed this thread I ordered a fish fry too. Saving it for lunch, either today or for Sunday.

HipKat, if you want me to send you a fish fry, let me know.

Only of you can get it here hot 'n fresh!
    HipKat's Blog

Vote for freedom, not political parties.
    Politicians need to cut spending

Unhappy Deadly cole slaw?

We were big fans of Hamlin House (American Legion, Troop I ) on Franklin, until the last visit 2 weeks ago - all three of us, incapacitated by the highly contagious Norovirus. Nothing like 12 hours of puking and 4 DAYS of "the runs" to convince one of NEVER AGAIN. I may never eat out anywhere, for that matter.

Unregistered

Fish

In the Midwest they seem not to like fish as much and only eat fish fries during Lent.

I read some studies about Thyroid Cancer in the Midwest due to the lack of getting iodine in their diets due to low fish consumption.

I miss good Walleye. When I lived in the Midwest, I noticed less Shrimp, Lobster, Salmon, Tuna, Crab, Scallops, etc.

I love raw Tuna and Salmon (sashimi). In the Midwest, they think this is bait!

Quote Originally Posted by Steiny View Post
    In the Midwest they seem not to like fish as much and only eat fish fries during Lent.

I read some studies about Thyroid Cancer in the Midwest due to the lack of getting iodine in their diets due to low fish consumption.

I miss good Walleye. When I lived in the Midwest, I noticed less Shrimp, Lobster, Salmon, Tuna, Crab, Scallops, etc.

I love raw Tuna and Salmon (sashimi). In the Midwest, they think this is bait!
    It depends on how the salmon is prepared , in some cases , it is bait here also............
    And He said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. Mark 16:15
    www.onlinemedia.net - www.vinyl-graphics.com

Does anyone (maybe some one have already posted on this ?) remember the "blue walleyes/pike" ? Lake Erie was LOADED with them , my dad used to get tired of catching them & wouldn't bait his hook so he could just throw out his line & take a nap on the boat because the blue pike kept them so busy ! Occassionally , every 4-5 years someone seems to get one , but basically they're extinct because of the steel mills , chemical pollution , etc. Sad how we've treated our world............
    And He said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. Mark 16:15

Unregistered

Lake Erie

Yeah, Lake Erie is the shallowest lake of the 5 and it actually caught fire in the 70s by Cleveland due to the pollution off the farmer fields (phosphorus).

Quote Originally Posted by Steiny View Post
    Yeah, Lake Erie is the shallowest lake of the 5 and it actually caught fire in the 70s by Cleveland due to the pollution off the farmer fields (phosphorus).
    I remember the story about that fire (some say it's an "Urban Legend" , that a boat's gas line ruptured , spewing gasoline which actually caught fire) , & I believe & WANT to believe it was the reason you posted...........Phosphorus ! I was there at "The Flats" approx. 6-7 years ago , enjoyed our Friday Happy Hour with friends , ate VERY well , but have now been told it's a dangerous , crime ridden area ? Shootings , car-jackings , purse snatchings , breaking into cars , I guess a lot stopped going downtown , or would leave early in the late spring/summer/early fall while it was still light outside as the "gangs" take over @ night ! I wasn't impressed either with the Music Hall of Fame.......but I do remember having a huge fish fry , & it was almost as good as any I've had here before I really stopped eating fried food..........

dgrzeb, sorry to say, but the blue pike are long gone. Kind of remember reading an article on how the they were fished out/nesting grounds polluted-destroyed, etc...

Here's another 'soon to screw up our fragile lake' fact. Invasive species number 168 or 169??? Asian carp(known for their jumping out of the water when boat motors scare them, hitting unsuspecting people on these boats), introduced into the Mid-West to control algae, not only have slowly made their way through several of the Great Lakes, with their voracious appetites that destroy the 'Great Lakes' bottom of the food chain critters, affecting the rest of fish specie populations in the Great Lakes, also carry a nasty looking asian tape worm that thrives on walleye, perch, and who knows what other kind of fish.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	small.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	2285

From an article:http://www.mlive.com/news/muskegon/i..._great_la.html

'The mere sight of tapeworms can tarnish a fishing trip -- the creatures are known to slither out of the mouths and gills of dead fish.'

'The tapeworm can grow to one-foot-long in large fish'

'it is not known if humans can also be hosts'

Quote Originally Posted by DR_GONZO View Post
    dgrzeb, sorry to say, but the blue pike are long gone. Kind of remember reading an article on how the they were fished out/nesting grounds polluted-destroyed, etc...

Here's another 'soon to screw up our fragile lake' fact. Invasive species number 168 or 169??? Asian carp(known for their jumping out of the water when boat motors scare them, hitting unsuspecting people on these boats), introduced into the Mid-West to control algae, not only have slowly made their way through several of the Great Lakes, with their voracious appetites that destroy the 'Great Lakes' bottom of the food chain critters, affecting the rest of fish specie populations in the Great Lakes, also carry a nasty looking asian tape worm that thrives on walleye, perch, and who knows what other kind of fish.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	small.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	2285

From an article:http://www.mlive.com/news/muskegon/i..._great_la.html

'The mere sight of tapeworms can tarnish a fishing trip -- the creatures are known to slither out of the mouths and gills of dead fish.'

'The tapeworm can grow to one-foot-long in large fish'

'it is not known if humans can also be hosts'
    very interesting , but severely gross I do believe though every 5-6-7 years someone pulls up a blue pike , it for all intent purposes is extinct , but there's a few out there..............like the sturgeon , very rarely seen or caught in Erie , but they're there........

The best one I've had is from this little hole in the wall called the Happy Swallow. They have the best vinegar based coleslaw too.

I didn't know the carp had gotten into the lakes yet. I thought they were still working on holding them back in the Rivers. They ARE a problem here.
    And as for fish in the Midwest, it's all about the catfish..... Yuk!!!!!!!!!
    HipKat's Blog

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread Information