Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Flood Insurance

Quote Originally Posted by la14218 View Post
    NO sur BELMONT lets you charge so much! that is why I don't care about who is in office or what it cost. I don't pay for it.
    Yeah us taxpayers pay for your freeloading ride.

YES AND THE OWNER OF THE HOUSE LIVES OUT OF STATE
    so I don't know who is going to help you? I don't know what is going on and don't care.
    you don't tall me nothing so I don't know.Let's just keep it to the 15 or 20 home owners that read this

Yesterday my neighbor informed me that she received notice from her mortgage company that her flood insurance was going up by June making her payments about $1600. Any news on the new maps and the elimination of the areas from the flood plain?

Quote Originally Posted by sunflower View Post
    I love it! Someone I know was walking through the neighborhood trying to get signatures to run for office and kept finding "renters" who also PROUDLY announced that they weren't registered voters because they were convicted felons! Yep, with our school district ranking #98th...look who we attract to our City!!
    Thanks for reminding me why I moved out!

Post Any Changes?

February 1, 2010

FEMA FINDINGS-HAXTON:

12. To: City Council

It has been sometime since we had an update about the proposed FEMA remapping of Smokes Creek flood plain within the City of Lackawanna . As you are aware, mandatory flood insurance premiums place an extreme economic hardship on our City residents. I believe there has to be a public hearing to discuss the proposed changes of the flood plain area and new map boundaries.

I request a public work session with your Honorable Body to discuss FEMA findings within the City of Lackawanna at your earliest convenience. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

ANDREA HAXTON

Moved by Jaworski, seconded by Noman, received & filed.

Yeas 5 Nays 0 Carried 5-0

It has been three months now----a friend just asked me for an update because his flood insurance rose significantly.
    I told him 3 months ago that jaworski told us the mayor was going to call a City of Lackawanna meeting for an official update and........
    Well?

This is a serious problem. I almost did not sell my house because the new owner was told he had to pay $1600 a year to live in my modest home in the second ward. FEMA has no money and is now charging everyone ridiculous costs to have flood insurance. If you want to buy a home in a flood zone in Lackawanna, better find a cash paying customer because FEMA will not be able to help. I understand that there is pending legislation for FEMA to get help from the government but, it has not yet been signed. My realtor said this will be a BIG problem.............
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by literal View Post
    This is a serious problem. I almost did not sell my house because the new owner was told he had to pay $1600 a year to live in my modest home in the second ward. FEMA has no money and is now charging everyone ridiculous costs to have flood insurance. If you want to buy a home in a flood zone in Lackawanna, better find a cash paying customer because FEMA will not be able to help. I understand that there is pending legislation for FEMA to get help from the government but, it has not yet been signed. My realtor said this will be a BIG problem.............
    The problem is the city will not fight FEMA on this issue. Higgins and Kearns were able to get South Buffalo off the flood map thru efforts by the City of Buffalo. No such effort was ever done here. What gives? Laziness is the real problem the people we have just don't care.

There was an article in the paper a month of so ago stating 300 and something houses being removed and 90 or so being added in Lackawanna. Any idea where one can get a list of the proposed removals/additions?

Call one of Lackawanna's trusted flood plain coordinators...Steve Bremer at 827-6403 or Joe Geyer at 827-6427. You MAY get a return call!!

I did tell Chuck Jaworski about the flood insurance concern. His response was that his nephew had no problem getting insurance on Colton Ave a few years ago. HELLO............a few years ago? Things/rules change daily. That was a POOR answer that was followed up with the city has nothing to do with FEMA. Why argue about something officials have NO IDEA how all of the dots are connected??????

My realtor said they will have a hard time selling homes needing flood insurance coverage and they have to tell the potential buyer about the problem before they start the whole mortgage process.

I am happily living elsewhere and now only have to be concerned with hurricanes...lol!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I did tell Chuck Jaworski about the flood insurance concern. His response was that his nephew had no problem getting insurance on Colton Ave a few years ago. HELLO............a few years ago? Things/rules change daily. That was a POOR answer that was followed up with the city has nothing to do with FEMA. Why argue about something officials have NO IDEA how all of the dots are connected??????

My realtor said they will have a hard time selling homes needing flood insurance coverage and they have to tell the potential buyer about the problem before they start the whole mortgage process.

I am happily living elsewhere and now only have to be concerned with hurricanes...lol!
    These guys are full of excuses thats all they do is spend all their time coming up with them. The city can do a lot with FEMA look at what Mickey Kerns started in the Caz Creek area. With the help of Brian Higgins a lot of houses were removed from flood plain. The reality is you have to WORK to get it done. In this city of whats in it for me WORK is a non existent word!

Quote Originally Posted by mnb811 View Post
    These guys are full of excuses thats all they do is spend all their time coming up with them. The city can do a lot with FEMA look at what Mickey Kerns started in the Caz Creek area. With the help of Brian Higgins a lot of houses were removed from flood plain. The reality is you have to WORK to get it done. In this city of whats in it for me WORK is a non existent word!
    There has to be more to this story other than laziness. There's got to be a political thread preventing them from wanting to help the PEOPLE!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

There has to be more to this story other than laziness. There's got to be a political thread preventing them from wanting to help the PEOPLE!!!!
    I agree. Everyone else seems to get stuff done though.One way to get it reduced is to dredge the creek.The problem is the city is a welfare city always depends on others to bail them out of a jam.

Post We were promised a meeting .........This is A Big Deal and a Huge Burden

Agenda

Council Meeting

October 4, 2010

Council Chambers

[url]www.ci.lackawanna.ny.us[/url

Economic Development Director –advises Council of floodplain within the city.

Mickey Kearns and Higgins fought side by side with the struggling homeowners in South Buffalo.....

Was this breaking news in the paper? When asked to go over it at the Council meeting they said read it on the web and they will make a few copies and put one at the Lackawanna Library. ????? What Gives? Did the new FEMA Lackawanna Flood Plain Map Help OR Hurt Lackawanna?
    Last edited by andreahaxton; October 7th, 2010 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Spacing

Exclamation Is this it? Date of Document?

CITY OF LACKAWANNA CODE ENFORCEMENT

FLOOD HAZARD

Flooding and other surface drainage problems can occur well away from a river, lake or ocean. If you are looking at a property, it is a good idea to check out the possible flood hazard before you buy. Here is why:

The force of moving water or waves can destroy a building.

•Slow moving floodwaters can knock people off their feet or float a car.
    •Even standing water can float a building, collapse basement walls, or buckle a concrete floor.
    •Water-soaked contents, such as carpeting, clothing, upholstered furniture and mattresses may have to be thrown away after a flood.
    •Some items, such as photographs and heirlooms, may never be restored to their original condition.
    •Floodwaters are not clean: floods carry mud, farm chemicals, road oil and other noxious substances that cause health hazards.
    •The impact of a flood, cleaning up, making repairs and the personal losses can cause great stress to you, your family and your finances.

Floodplain Regulations:

Your community regulates construction and development in the floodplain to ensure that buildings will be protected from flood damage. Filling and similar projects are prohibited in certain areas. Houses that are substantially damaged by fire, flood or any other cause must be elevated above the flood level when they are repaired.

Check for Flood Hazard

Before you commit yourself to buying a property, do the following:

•Ask the real estate agent if the property is in a floodplain, if it has ever been flooded and if it is subject to any other hazards, such as sewer backup or subsidence.
    •Ask the seller and the neighbors if the property is in a floodplain, how long they have lived there, if the property has ever been flooded, and if it is subject to any other hazards.
    •Ask the local building, zoning or engineering department if the property is in a floodplain, if it has ever been flooded, what is the flood depth, velocity and warning time, if it is subject to any other hazards and what building or zoning regulations are in effect.

Flood Protection

A building can be protected from most flood hazards, sometimes at a relatively low cost. New buildings and additions can be elevated above flood levels. Existing buildings can be protected from shallow floodwaters by regarding, berms or floodwalls. There are other retrofitting techniques that can protect a building from surface or subsurface water.

Flood Insurance

One of the best protection measures for a building with a flood problem is National Flood Insurance, which is purchased through any property insurance agent. If the building is located in a floodplain, flood insurance will be required by most mortgage lenders. Ask an insurance agent how much a flood insurance policy would cost.

Nation Flood Insurance Program (NFIP)

This community participates in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). The NFIP makes federally backed flood insurance available for all buildings, whether they are in the floodplain or not. Flood insurance covers direct loss caused by surface flooding, including a river flowing over its banks, a lake or ocean storm and local drainage problems.

The NFIP insures buildings, including mobile homes, with two types of coverage: structural and contents. Structural coverage is for walls, floors, insulation, furnace and other items permanently attached to the structure. Contents coverage may be purchase separately provided the contents are in an insurable building.

Mandatory Purchase Requirement

The mandatory purchase requirement applies to all forms of federal or federally related financial assistance for buildings located in a Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA). This requirement affects loans and grants for the purchase, construction, repair or improvement of any publicly or privately owned building in the SFHA, including machinery, equipment, fixtures and furnishings contained in such buildings.

Financial assistance programs affected include loans and grants from agencies such as the Department of Veterans Affairs, Farmers Home Administration, Federal Housing Administration, Small Business Administration and Federal Emergency Management Agency. The requirement also applies to secured mortgage loans from financial institutions, such as commercial lenders, savings and loans associations, saving banks and credit unions that are regulated, supervised or insured by federal agencies such as the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation and the Office of Thrift Supervision. It also applies to all mortgage loans purchased by Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac in the secondary mortgage market.

How it Works

Before a person can receive a loan or other financial assistance from one of the affected agencies or lenders, there must be a check to see if the building is a SFHA. The SFHA is the base (100 year) floodplain mapped on a Flood Insurance Rate Map (FIRM). It is shown as one or more zones that begin with the letter “A” or “V.”

Copies of the FIRM are available for review in most local government buildings or planning departments. Many lenders and insurance agents have copies also. It is the agency’s or the lender’s responsibility to check the FIRM to determine if the building is in a SFHA, although many communities provide assistance.

If the building is in a SFHA, the agency or lender is required by law to require the recipient to purchase a flood insurance policy on the building. The requirement is for structural coverage equal to the amount of the loan (or other financial assistance) or the maximum amount available, whichever is less. The maximum amount available for a single family house is $250,000.

The mandatory purchase requirement does not affect loans or financial assistance for items that are not covered by a flood insurance policy, such as vehicles, business expenses, landscaping and vacant lots. It does not affect loans for buildings that are not in the SFHA, even though a portion of the lot may be prone to flooding. While not mandated by law, a lender may require a flood insurance policy for a property in any zone on a Flood Insurance Rate Map.

Flood Protection Information

Notice to: Lending Institutions & Real Estate & Insurance Agents

Subject: Flood Insurance Rate Map Zone Information

As a public service, the City of Lackawanna will provide you with the following information upon request:

•Whether the property is in or out of Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA) as shown on the current Flood Insurance Rate Map (FIRM) of the City.
    •Additional flood insurance date for a site, such as the FIRM zone and the base flood elevation or depth, if shown on the FIRM.
    •We have a handout on the flood insurance purchase requirements that can help people who need a mortgage or loan for a property in the SFHA.

If you would like to make an inquiry, please tell us the street address and, if available, the subdivision, lot and block number. We are open 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 pm., Monday through Friday. Call us at (716) 827-6425 or visit the Department of Engineering located on the third floor, Room 311 of Lackawanna City Hall. Anyone in the office can provide the needed information. There is no charge for this service.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information