Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Flood Insurance

In Buffalo the lead on this flood insurence was taken by Councilmember Mickey Kearns but then Mr.Higgins stole all the credit. When is somebody other than our do nothing mayor going to step up and help the taxpayer out in our city for a change? It's going to take some WORK from some council member to get this thing done. Who is going to do the job? Hope someone steps up soon cause this issue is just like that bogus Peace Bridge going on 20plus years and counting!

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=andreahaxton;617092]On March 15, 2010 Council meeting agenda:
    Council Member Szymanski – requests Council approval of resolution asking our federal representatives to remove the unfair burden of having to pay flood insurance. QUOTE]

What 's the status of this request? Any answers to Szymanski?

He isn't going to do a thing. Think about it he's had four years he hasn't done a thing for that or anything else. Just look at the rapidly falling apart ward he runs. He's just continuing the work of Danny "do nothing" Kozub who started this process 12 years ago. Now Danny wants to work for the state go figure!!

I'm very glad to see some people are still concerned about the Flood Insurance issue. I cannot understand why more citizens aren't spitting mad. The Federal government is ripping people off on this Flood Insurance. Putting the 2nd ward area in a "high risk" category is causing unnecessary financial burden on Lackawanna cititzens. The Federal goverment should not be basing the flood insurance on elevation, it should be based on actual ACTIVITY in the area. I would ask FEMA, "when was the last time that creek flooded around the Warsaw, Kirby, Elkhart area? When was the last flood insurance claim in this area?"

Since our local government doesn't seem to care about the financial burden imposed on it's citizens, I've been looking into other avenues for help. I have contacted FEMA, NYS Banking Association, NYS Insurance Commissioner, my insurance agent, 2 NYS senators and no one can tell me who regulates mortgage lenders regarding their insurance requirement policies. FEMA states they require insurance only cover the loan amount, however FEMA admits that mortgage lenders have free reign to require whatever they like regarding insurances. Our Federal government is NOT doing a very good job governing their own flood insurance. I fear for our country now that the Federal goverment has it's hands in our health insurance.
    Last edited by speakingup; March 27th, 2010 at 10:27 AM.

I feel the same way as you do. This flood insurence thing is a rip off no doubt. I also fear for my healthcare because government is just one big breaucracy that will just screw everything up. Look how long it takes for them to fix this simple flood insurence problem? What the hell are they going to do when people's healthcare is in their hands? Good luck trying to get any medical help ASAP.This healthcare thing is the biggest disaster since the 60's Great Society programs. We have seen firsthand how well that worked!

truth, what do I care I rent

Quote Originally Posted by la14218 View Post
    truth, what do I care I rent
    If your landlord had to increase his/her flood insurance, you can bet it would affect you then.

NO sur BELMONT lets you charge so much! that is why I don't care about who is in office or what it cost. I don't pay for it.

Flood insurance

I love it! Someone I know was walking through the neighborhood trying to get signatures to run for office and kept finding "renters" who also PROUDLY announced that they weren't registered voters because they were convicted felons! Yep, with our school district ranking #98th...look who we attract to our City!!

Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by sunflower View Post
    I love it! Someone I know was walking through the neighborhood trying to get signatures to run for office and kept finding "renters" who also PROUDLY announced that they weren't registered voters because they were convicted felons! Yep, with our school district ranking #98th...look who we attract to our City!!

I got sick of banging my head against the wall..
    Renters
    Flood Insurance
    Schools
    BS Politics

I moved.
    Last edited by LaNdReW; March 28th, 2010 at 04:27 PM. Reason: typo
    "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis (1935)

Thumbs up

How's your head?

Quote Originally Posted by zanna vaida View Post
    How's your head?
    Ms. Zanna, you are no lady!!!

Talking Fact!

First of all, issues that matter, as a rule, ---ONLY matter to most of the people, some of the time. AND issues that matter, as a rule, MUST be kept ignited by some of the people--ALL of the time, or they will go out.

Society has lots and lots of issues as we all know. Because there are so many issues people feel overwhelmed and start out caring but fizzle out for numerous reasons. Personal/family commitments are usually the most important, and rightfully so. At this point they justify their own lack of participation by telling themselves, I have done my share-let someone else do it. Or worse, people trust that the politicians that patted them on the back and bought them a draft pre-election promised them that they would take care of it. HA! Well we all know what the political leaders aren't doing!

So.....where do we go from here and how do we begin?
    People who care, just keep caring, and make the time somehow--to keep the pressure on the ones responsible for the decisions that adversely affect you and yours BY---making meetings, phone calls, e-mails, letters, etc.!
    I believe in takin' it to the streets, people power, AND the squeaky wheel gets the oil!

One person can make a difference, Rosa Parks did!

This is an election year AND the year of Accountability!
    I have networked with Mickey Kearns for years, he will gladly discuss with anyone how he went about it- to do what he accomplished with FEMA in South Buffalo. Mr Higgins is OUR federal link as you already know. Call him first and tell his office that you want to go on public record, stating....if a couple hundred people call....the oil can has to come out!

Home | Contact Brian

I want to be sure that my office can effectively answer your questions and address your concerns as quickly and clearly as possible. Following these guidelines will help ensure that your communication is handled appropriately.

:: Email Brian

Where To Send Your Communication
    Is your concern a federal issue? Matters regarding state or local government policies can best be addressed by your local elected officials. If your concern is a federal issue, be sure that your communication is directed to the representative from the district where you live or work - you have the most influence over your own elected officials! If you are unsure which Congressional district you live in, double check by using the zip-code search at www.house.gov.

When you have a communication that you want to send to my office, knowing where to send it will ensure it is properly addressed. There are many different types of requests that are sent to my office. The bullets below explain the different types of mail my office receives and provide information on where they should be sent.
    Correspondence: There are many important issues that members of Congress must act upon on a day to day basis. I greatly value your opinions. Letting me know when you strongly support or oppose legislation or other matters of importance will improve my effectiveness as your representative. To share your opinion on an issue, please email my office or fax, call or write to my Washington DC office (see contact information to the right).
    Casework: If you have a problem or concern that requires individual attention, such as problems with a federal agency, my caseworkers may be able to help. Inquiries should be made to either my Erie County or Chautauqua County offices (see contact information on the right). Click here for more details on constituent casework.
    Scheduling Requests: Scheduling requests for my Washington, DC and Western New York offices must be made in writing and should be mailed or faxed to my Washington office at 202-226-0347 or my Erie County office (for meetings in Erie and Chautauqua counties) at 716-852-3929. Please be aware that all U.S. mail undergoes security screening and is therefore delayed.
    Other Requests: My office processes requests - varying from help applying for grants to academy nominations to tour requests. Information on these and other services can be found on my Constituent Services page.

Great!

Quote Originally Posted by zanna vaida View Post
    How's your head?
    Great!
    Relatively reasonable taxes. (note: Relatively)
    Great school district
    Peace and quiet

Would have been much more enjoyable if I didn't have to deal with any Realtors when sold/bought the houses.
    "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis (1935)

Quote Originally Posted by LaNdReW View Post
    I got sick of banging my head against the wall..
    Renters
    Flood Insurance
    Schools
    BS Politics

I moved.
    I understand your fustrations!!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information