View Poll Results: Will grocery stores selling wine put liquor and wine stores out of business?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

10 43.48%
  • No

11 47.83%
  • I don't know

2 8.70%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Grocery Stores selling wine

Grocery Stores selling wine

I heard a lot about how this idea of allowing wine to be sold in grocery stores will somehow put liquor stores out of business.

Is this in fact true?

If one were to go to, Chicago, per se, grocery stores sell liquor, wine, etc. Heck, even 7-11 sells liquor.

But, liquor stores are still all over the place. None of them are out of business. They prosper, actually.

So, is this opposition to wine being sold in grocery stores just a way to try to keep competition down? Honestly, I doubt grocery stores will sell good wine, or even most of the Niagara Wine Trail vintages. Liquor and Wine stores will still have their place.

What does everyone here think?
    Raptor Jesus: He went extinct for your sins.

I have been to places where wine is sold in grocery stores and the Liquor stores seem to be doing fine.
    **free is a trademark of the current U.S. government.

Quote Originally Posted by mikenold View Post
    I have been to places where wine is sold in grocery stores and the Liquor stores seem to be doing fine.
    I agree. I live in one of them.
    Someone who can't balance a budget probably shouldn't be in a position to spend someone else's money.

Double edged sword?

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    I agree. I live in one of them.
    PERHAPS..if liquor stores are allowed to sell other goodies..just as grocery stores now sell them....and a level playing field is created...it could be sustainable...but for currently licensed liquor stores to bear the brunt of this legislation, with a small profit margin..as it is now...then many will close.
    COMPETITION is good...but what happened to all the smaoo mom and pop corner stores when Tops and Wegmans opened up...OR the currently contested Wla Marts all over the country that has people in an uproar...especially the small business owner..and the local jobs they offer??

Te whole "they do it in other States and it seems to work fine" reaction is short-sighted.

Here's why it's wrong to allow supermarkets to sell wine in NYS:

Liquor stores are very heavily regulated - they're permitted to sell only very specific items. They can not sell things such as cigarettes, candy. I don't even think they're allowed to sell ice.

They can not even open more than one store under their own name.

Knowing what they're getting into, the operators open, pay for licenses, and do so with the knowledge that, even though they're prohibited from selling most items, in return the State allows them to sell items (i.e. liquor and wine,) that no one else is allowed to sell.

So, for the State to now say "even though we've been regulating what you're selling all these years, we now need to raise money for the State, so we're going to remove wine from the equation and let supermarkets sell it," is purely unfair.

Basically the State is saying "thanks for paying those fees all those years, but, **** you, because we're breaking our end of the deal."

And, it will kill many liquor stores, all which are mom and pop operations.

Quote Originally Posted by joe d. View Post
    PERHAPS..if liquor stores are allowed to sell other goodies..just as grocery stores now sell them....and a level playing field is created...it could be sustainable...but for currently licensed liquor stores to bear the brunt of this legislation, with a small profit margin..as it is now...then many will close.
    COMPETITION is good...but what happened to all the smaoo mom and pop corner stores when Tops and Wegmans opened up...OR the currently contested Wla Marts all over the country that has people in an uproar...especially the small business owner..and the local jobs they offer??
    What's to stop a liquor store from getting a grocery store license?

I mean, take a look at Frontier Liquor. There's a liquor store on one side, and a grocery (aka beer store) on the other.

If they were allowed to combine the store and books, it would be advantageous for that store.
    Raptor Jesus: He went extinct for your sins.

Quote Originally Posted by therising View Post
    Te whole "they do it in other States and it seems to work fine" reaction is short-sighted.

Liquor stores are very heavily regulated - they're permitted to sell only very specific items. They can not sell things such as cigarettes, candy. I don't even think they're allowed to sell ice.

Knowing what they're getting into, the operators open, pay for licenses, and do so with the knowledge that, even though they're prohibited from selling most items, in return the State allows them to sell items (i.e. liquor and wine,) that no one else is allowed to sell.

So, for the State to now say "even though we've been regulating what you're selling all these years, we now need to raise money for the State, so we're going to remove wine from the equation and let supermarkets sell it," is purely unfair.

Basically the State is saying "thanks for paying those fees all those years, but, **** you, because we're breaking our end of the deal."

I agree,, how could it not?

Everyone said when grocery stores started selling gasoline that gas stations were going to go out of business. Never mind that most gas stations sell food.

The liquor stores will still have the superior selection and variety. They'll be fine.
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. No one is entitled to their own facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Mindcrime View Post
    Everyone said when grocery stores started selling gasoline that gas stations were going to go out of business. Never mind that most gas stations sell food.

The liquor stores will still have the superior selection and variety. They'll be fine.
    You forgetting that liquor stores can't sell food. And you think they'll be fine.

If alcohol is sold in grocery stores, I would buy it there. I would not go into a liquour store.

A place like Premier will not close down, they offer a large selection. Small mom and pop places might. But if they have a strong customer base, they might be fine....Remember the restaurants that stopped smoking, and they thought that all the rest. would suffer. I see them prospering inspite of it. I go more often actually.

Quote Originally Posted by joe d. View Post
    Prices may not necessarily go down as a result of supply. If the wineries cannot supply all the new locations the price of the wine will increase therefore allowing both the Liquor store and the grocery to gain more profit.
    **free is a trademark of the current U.S. government.

Quote Originally Posted by therising View Post

Aren't you the one that is okay with free competiton and WalMarts driving small businesses out of business unless those businesses adjust, but you are advocating protectionism here?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    Aren't you the one that is okay with free competiton and WalMarts driving small businesses out of business unless those businesses adjust, but you are advocating protectionism here?
    Yes, that would be me.

Read my post again. The reason I'm for this "protectionism" is because of the regulations that liquor stores are forced to follow.

Grocery stores will not be selling liquor. It would be interesting to see the sales statistics showing the ratio of liquor to wine sales in the area.

I hope everyone realizes that what is really going on here is the NYS needs money! Our NYS legislators don't care where we buy wine or who sells wine. If they can pass legislation allowing grocery stores to sell wine they can charge a hefty license fee to those stores. Last year they raised taxes and fees and created new fees but, they still need more money!!!
    Government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem. Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information