Quote Originally Posted by therising View Post
Te whole "they do it in other States and it seems to work fine" reaction is short-sighted.

Here's why it's wrong to allow supermarkets to sell wine in NYS:

Liquor stores are very heavily regulated - they're permitted to sell only very specific items. They can not sell things such as cigarettes, candy. I don't even think they're allowed to sell ice.

They can not even open more than one store under their own name.

Knowing what they're getting into, the operators open, pay for licenses, and do so with the knowledge that, even though they're prohibited from selling most items, in return the State allows them to sell items (i.e. liquor and wine,) that no one else is allowed to sell.

So, for the State to now say "even though we've been regulating what you're selling all these years, we now need to raise money for the State, so we're going to remove wine from the equation and let supermarkets sell it," is purely unfair.

Basically the State is saying "thanks for paying those fees all those years, but, **** you, because we're breaking our end of the deal."

And, it will kill many liquor stores, all which are mom and pop operations.

Two sides to the coin.

One could also look at it as liquor stores paid a fee all of these years to have exclusive rights to sell liquor.

You appear to have a deeper understanding of the regulations, but from my perspective, if it is a yearly fee, then it is something that can expire at anytime. No?

Furthermore, correct me if I am wrong, but if Grocery stores are able to sell wine and liquor with food, ice and smokes, wouldn't that open the doors for liquor stores to offer food, ice and smokes with their current inventor of wine and liquor?