Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's see what happens this time - gun control

Quote Originally Posted by run4it View Post
    Thanks for the encouragement. I don't want one, nor do I have one. Last time I encountered a burglar (admittedly not in my own house) the sand wedge did quite nicely (wouldn't want to ding my pitching wedge, and I can usually avoid the traps).

I didn't inquire as to his sexual orientation though, nor did I pay attention to the rainbow ascot around his neck...
    Bats, crowbars (See what Dr. Freeman can do with his. You wont laugh), drivers, etc. Hell, most anything will fend off a burglar. They want an easy target, not someone who will fight back.

I find it amusing we have so many quick-draw McGraw's here, who think they can out-draw a burglar with a weapon at the ready. Hell, the only instances where a homeowner did anything with his gun to prevent it was with the "surprise" effect, which could be done with any weapon (ie creep up on the guy, and bludgeon the crap out of him with a bat).
    Raptor Jesus: He went extinct for your sins.

Do we need to go back and see where you applauded some representative who introduced a bill REQUIRING everyone to own a weapon?
    Everyone owning a gun IS sharing!! Sheech!
    **free is a trademark of the current U.S. government.

The reason for the second amendment was so that everyone (well, all males) could immediately join the army in the case of foreign invasions.

Is that your opinion, or did you read that somewhere?

I've also heard people say the purpose behind the 2nd Amen. was to allow the police to quickly increase their ranks in event of hostile Indian attacks. However, a police force did not exist in the Colonies until after 1845.

My friend, let me state in no uncertain terms exactly what the purpose of the 2nd is. It is to arm the population against the tyranny of the goverment.

I could quote Washington, Jefferson, Mason, Madison, Admas, etc. with hundreds upon hundreds of direct quotes they published before, during, and after the ratification of the BOR. Most of it has nothing to do with target shooting, hunting, indian attacks, house robberies, etc....

And another thing: You are 100% correct that the ultimate purpose of a firearm is to destroy its target. I dont see how anyone, pro-gun or anti-gun, could argue that fact. Its no different than an arrow, slingshot, spear, blowgun, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by NBuffaloResident View Post
    Bats, crowbars (See what Dr. Freeman can do with his. You wont laugh), drivers, etc. Hell, most anything will fend off a burglar. They want an easy target, not someone who will fight back.

I find it amusing we have so many quick-draw McGraw's here, who think they can out-draw a burglar with a weapon at the ready. Hell, the only instances where a homeowner did anything with his gun to prevent it was with the "surprise" effect, which could be done with any weapon (ie creep up on the guy, and bludgeon the crap out of him with a bat).
    You will be dead with the crowbar, driver, PW, putter or any other bludgeoning instrument still in your hand if the burglar has a gun!
    **free is a trademark of the current U.S. government.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLV View Post

My friend, let me state in no uncertain terms exactly what the purpose of the 2nd is. It is to arm the population against the tyranny of the goverment.

Excellent

and in so doing securing the other amendments.

Quote Originally Posted by mikenold View Post
    You will be dead with the crowbar, driver, PW, putter or any other bludgeoning instrument still in your hand if the burglar has a gun!
    You'd be dead anyways if the burglar with a gun knows you are approaching. You having a gun doesn't fix that

Or, are you one of those quick-draws than can out draw a gun trained on you?

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLV View Post
    Is that your opinion, or did you read that somewhere?

I've also heard people say the purpose behind the 2nd Amen. was to allow the police to quickly increase their ranks in event of hostile Indian attacks. However, a police force did not exist in the Colonies until after 1845.

I could quote Washington, Jefferson, Mason, Madison, Admas, etc. with hundreds upon hundreds of direct quotes they published before, during, and after the ratification of the BOR. Most of it has nothing to do with target shooting, hunting, indian attacks, house robberies, etc....

And another thing: You are 100% correct that the ultimate purpose of a firearm is to destroy its target. I dont see how anyone, pro-gun or anti-gun, could argue that fact. Its no different than an arrow, slingshot, spear, blowgun, etc.
    Mark, read the 2nd Amendment. Focus on the first half. Here, I'll help:

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state

It has to do with the military (what would now be the state chapters of nat'l guard) protecting against outside forces (which could well be indians, yes). It says necessary to the security OF a free state, not to the security AGAINST the state.

I agree that the amendment is in place and so is in force. But dont' try to make it sound like it was intended for something it wasn't.
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

Not if you get the drop.

Which I did.

And even if I DID have a gun, in no ways am I going to engage in a firefight in my own home. Maybe if I were in yours...
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Why approach them? Bullets normally have some range to them unlike a golf club which has about a 3 foot range Unless you throw it them. Just like that rapier thingy you wanted wear.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Why approach them? Bullets normally have some range to them unlike a golf club which has about a 3 foot range Unless you throw it them. Just like that rapier thingy you wanted wear.
    Again, I'm not getting into a firefight in my own home. Especially in my house, if you get far enough around a corner to get a good shot, you're close enough to clobber the bastage anyway. But more importantly, bullets pass through walls sometimes.
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    If you fire on someone, who doesn't have a gun trained on you, and isn't directly threatening you, and has no idea you're there; you'll have a hard time with your defense. Even in Texas that would be a hard defense to prove in court, and Texas is THE most lenient on the "Stand and Fight" laws.

Hell, in most instances you have every right to shoot/kill/etc anyone on your property after saying,"Git off mah land!" But you have to say "Git off mah land" (Or something similar) before shooting them.

Everyone owning a gun IS sharing!! Sheech!
    In response to Fish saying that if you don't like guns, just don't get one, you said:

Oh wait, were you using common sense here?
    Which is inconsistent with what you've said before.

It's not that important. Just pointing out your hypocritical hackery.
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

Those of you that are "anti-gun" (I know, very broad, and perhaps not accurate, but you catch my drift), what exactly is your problem with them? Why not just continue to not own one? What is your objection to others owning them? How does that affect you in any way?

Quote Originally Posted by FisherRd View Post
    Those of you that are "anti-gun" (I know, very broad, and perhaps not accurate, but you catch my drift), what exactly is your problem with them? Why not just continue to not own one? What is your objection to others owning them? How does that affect you in any way?
    I really don't have an issue with safe, regulated gun ownership and use. I like to tweak the "cold dead fingers" crowd because a) they're usually wrong, and b) they take themselves waayyyyy to seriously.

Fish, I KNOW you can respect that.
    But your being a dick
    ~Wnyresident

Fish, I KNOW you can respect that.
    No doubt about it.
    I figured that's where 99% of the "anti-gun" crowd is coming from.

I belong to the NRA (simply because it tweeks people), and the phone calls are worth the 3 year membership cost! I get calls telling me Hillary Clinton, the UN, and other "despots" are going to come for my guns. I occasionally tell them they're crazy and give the NRA a bad name with such hysteria, but that just invites even more scripted crazy talk.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information