Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lot's of layoff's coming to area company's

Lot's of layoff's coming to area company's

It's the holidays and with a new year coming in January,
    many area companys are giving layoff's notices to hundreds of their employees and the future doesn't look to good.
    I heard General Mills is going to close the Buffalo plant and move the production to their plants in Michigan & Missouri within 2 years,
    public announcement coming around the 1st.
    Quebecor is moving product lines out of the Depew Plant and moving it
    to plants in the Southern states. Time Warner will begin moving all operation's & close it's HQ's in Coudersport PA. this year and The next Phase will be closing the Buffalo Call Center and moving them jobs to Dallas/FT. Worth next year around this time. Goodyear/Dunlop Tire Plant will utilize the scabs for about another year untill their new Plants are operational in Mexico & Asia. Continental Elma's plant (old Motorola) is starting a series of layoffs which will phase out & Close the plant in 2 years, on top of thousands and thousands of auto Industry Jobs that are disappearing at Ford Woodlaw, Delphi Lockport, AAM 3 plants, Buffalo,Cheektowaga, & Tonawanda and GM's Power Train, Now their's Hospital Closing coming !
    What's Sad is nothing new every comes to Buffalo !

I remember Bethlehem as they went through their multiple layorrs during the 1970s and early 1980s. One of the really big layoffs happened the week before Christmas.

People called the company cruel and heartless.

The next time they did a big one it was announced the week after New Year's. The Company said they didn't want to ruin the employees' Christmas.

Seems to me that might have been even crueller.
    Truth springs from argument among friends.

Unregistered

some of these have been announced...but where are you getting your other info

some of these have been announced...but where are you getting your other info?

This is very damning negativism for our region and Im suprised so few people are concerned about what your saying.

Because we may not believe it.

Although the strike at Dunlop is ominous: even the newspaper article said it was highly unusual for a union in today's environment to dig in their heels and say "No" to a company's cost-cutting efforts.

The River Road plant is not laid out to be an efficient factory: it was built in WW I as a munitions plant. It was laid out to stop KABOOM from blowing up everything, not highly integrated manufacturing processes.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy

This is very damning negativism for our region and Im suprised so few people are concerned about what your saying.
    I,d be truely concerned. I've worked at one of those plants and I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw workers sleeping in the locker room, taking 45 minute breaks every hour, and they are making over $20 an hour. The unions protect these workers to no end. The workers do no more than the have to, and the supervisors can do little about it. Were all to blame when plants close and move out of state or oversees. Wecome to The United States of Corporate America.

Townsfolk
    Quote Originally Posted by biker
    Because we may not believe it.

Although the strike at Dunlop is ominous: even the newspaper article said it was highly unusual for a union in today's environment to dig in their heels and say "No" to a company's cost-cutting efforts.

The River Road plant is not laid out to be an efficient factory: it was built in WW I as a munitions plant. It was laid out to stop KABOOM from blowing up everything, not highly integrated manufacturing processes.
    I spoke with a friend of mine last weekend who is one of the workers on strike at Dunlop-- a family man with a wife, 3 children and a mortgage, with Christmas just around the corner. My friend is very upset with the union for striking and not continuing to negotiate. He tells me there is no end in sight. I asked him-- why don't you just cross the picket line and go back to work for the good of your family? He tells me he is scared of "union thugs" who will "key" his car and "vandalize" his home.

I'm concerned, but what can be done? We are never again going to get a government in power that will look out for the interests of the working people of this country.

I wish it was as simple as you portray it, with the Deathstar (jews) as the cause of all of this. However, it ain't so. I'm sure they as a group benefit more from this economy but that is simply because they as a group have a higher education level and thus high incomes. No conpiracy about it, it's just a matter of IQ.

My advise is to buy some stock with whatever money you have. That is the only way you can get ahead in this economy that favors the investor class over the working class.
    Last edited by Downstate Buffaloian; December 11th, 2006 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Downstate Buffaloian
    I'm concerned, but what can be done? We are never again going to get a government in power that will look out for the interests of the working people of this country.

I wish it was as simple as you portray it, with the Deathstar as the cause of all of this. However, it ain't so. I'm sure they as a group benefit more from this economy but that is simply because they as a group have a higher education level and thus high incomes. No conpiracy about it, it's just a matter of IQ.

My advise is to buy some stock with whatever money you have. That is the only way you can get ahead in this economy that favors the investor class over the working class.
    But he'd better not buy stock in the Deathstar itself, Walmart.

WMT has been one of the worst performers in the "aughts" so far. But you wouldn't know it from all the baffle-gab ideologues have been throwing around about "owners profiting at the expense of the workers."

About the only other stock with an equally-poor performance in the new century is that boogeyman of the nineties, Microsoft.

Quote Originally Posted by biker
    But he'd better not buy stock in the Deathstar itself, Walmart.

WMT has been one of the worst performers in the "aughts" so far. But you wouldn't know it from all the baffle-gab ideologues have been throwing around about "owners profiting at the expense of the workers."

About the only other stock with an equally-poor performance in the new century is that boogeyman of the nineties, Microsoft.
    He should buy a fund that indexes the S&P 500. Can't lose in the long run.

Unregistered

but what about Buffalo? what about keeping these companies and bringing more coshere

but what about Buffalo? what about keeping these companies and bringing more coshere

Why not an invest in Buffalo fund where Buffalonians can invest in Buffalo companies, even small ones?

Why not an invest in Buffalo fund where Buffalonians can invest in Buffalo companies, even small ones?
    A good idea! I'm not sure if there are funds specifically for WNY. I guess you would have to buy them individually.

Good concept though.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmTree
    many area companys are giving layoff's notices to hundreds of their employees and the future doesn't look to good.
    I heard General Mills is going to close the Buffalo plant and move the production to their plants in Michigan & Missouri within 2 years,
    to plants in the Southern states. Time Warner will begin moving all operation's & close it's HQ's in Coudersport PA. this year and The next Phase will be closing the Buffalo Call Center and moving them jobs to Dallas/FT. Worth next year around this time. Goodyear/Dunlop Tire Plant will utilize the scabs for about another year untill their new Plants are operational in Mexico & Asia. Continental Elma's plant (old Motorola) is starting a series of layoffs which will phase out & Close the plant in 2 years, on top of thousands and thousands of auto Industry Jobs that are disappearing at Ford Woodlaw, Delphi Lockport, AAM 3 plants, Buffalo,Cheektowaga, & Tonawanda and GM's Power Train, Now their's Hospital Closing coming !
    How cool. PalmTree is our very own Tokyo Rose.

The Rand Fund was a mutual fund, investment company whose purpose was to invest in startups in Buffalo and across WNY.

Founded and funded by one of Buffalo's great capitalist families.

I think they went bust.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmTree
    You hear all this in Gilbert, Arizona?

Most of these have already been announced.

BTW, Coudersport, PA, is not "Buffalo", Jenny.
    Your right to buy a military weapon without hindrance, delay or training cannot trump Daniel Barden’s right to see his eighth birthday. -- Jim Himes

Quote Originally Posted by Linda_D
    You hear all this in Gilbert, Arizona?

Most of these have already been announced.

BTW, Coudersport, PA, is not "Buffalo", Jenny.
    PalmTree=Jennifer???

Timmy=Moa'dib???

My brain hurts.

I need a program.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information