Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lancaster schools must be more transparent. Buffalo News

Lancaster schools must be more transparent. Buffalo News

Letter: Lancaster School District must be more transparent
    By Staff
    Published Tue, May 2, 2017

Lancaster School District must be more transparent

I understand that integrity is the backbone of strong leadership. Regrettably, New York State continues to struggle with issues of governmental ethics that can often sap our energy and progress. It is especially concerning when this occurs closest to home.

One recent case is the audit findings by the New York State Comptroller’s Office in the Town of Lancaster. In its financial review of the Lancaster School District, a number of troubling issues were brought to light. The audit revealed that the School Board and administration routinely overestimated budgetary expenditures by as much as $10 million annually in recent years. This, of course, impacts tax levies to an already beleaguered homeowner.

Further, the Comptroller’s Office determined that the district’s budgeting practices lacked transparency to town residents. Clearly, the latter relies on the former and is often the prerequisite to unethical behavior. We must hold public officials accountable at all levels in our state. The progress we have seen under Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s programs cannot be sustained in an environment that lacks integrity in government. Let’s all pull together to ensure clean government.

that is a letter to the editor and not the opinion of the buffalo news.

every year there is a budget presentation after the candidates round table and the administration answers every question asked about it. almost no one stays for that portion. i have never seen you there, greg.

why is that?

Greg,
    Why would you purposely state that the letter was authored by a staff member of the Buffalo News when that is not the case?

Quote Originally Posted by GEN3535 View Post
    Greg,
    Why would you purposely state that the letter was authored by a staff member of the Buffalo News when that is not the case?
    ironic reminder of the day: the title of the thread includes the word "transparency"

Another false narrative (fake news) by Greg, I'm shocked - NOT!

I have told you many times that I am the Helen Keller of computers. I copied and pasted the letter as it appears online . I did not change anything nor do I know how to . Look it up online and see the facts . Your wrong about your comments, when you look it up and see your wrong I will accept your apology. Man up Lee !!! You are making false claims ! No surprise .

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by GEN3535 View Post
    Greg,
    He didn't. I looked at the page and he posted exactly what a edit/copy/paste would display.

Letter: Lancaster School District must be more transparent

By Staff

Published Tue, May 2, 2017

TWEET
    EMAIL

Lancaster School District must be more transparent

I understand that integrity is the backbone of strong leadership. Regrettably, New York State continues to struggle with issues of governmental ethics that can often sap our energy and progress. It is especially concerning when this occurs closest to home.

One recent case is the audit findings by the New York State Comptroller’s Office in the Town of Lancaster. In its financial review of the Lancaster School District, a number of troubling issues were brought to light. The audit revealed that the School Board and administration routinely overestimated budgetary expenditures by as much as $10 million annually in recent years. This, of course, impacts tax levies to an already beleaguered homeowner.

Further, the Comptroller’s Office determined that the district’s budgeting practices lacked transparency to town residents. Clearly, the latter relies on the former and is often the prerequisite to unethical behavior. We must hold public officials accountable at all levels in our state. The progress we have seen under Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s programs cannot be sustained in an environment that lacks integrity in government. Let’s all pull together to ensure clean government.
    Below the google ad there is a Dennis Kaite Lancaster.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    He didn't. I looked at the page and he posted exactly what a edit/copy/paste would display.

Below the google ad there is a Dennis Kaite Lancaster.

I clearly saw that Dennis Kaite was the author of the letter to the editor. If I were going to repost the information or even link to it, I would have made sure that I included that. To leave it out that piece of information is suspect. Furthermore, this is yet another instance where information shared from Greg isn't "quite right".

Dennis Kaite is absolutely entitled to his opinion and I am sure he would want credit for it. Just my opinion.

Shocking that Mr. Kaite is a.....wait for it.....Redskin's supporter! Here's his post on the Buffalo news concerning the mascot name change-

Discussion on The Buffalo News 306 comments
    In dropping offensive mascot name, it’s never too soon to do the right thing
    Dennis Kaite
    Dennis Kaite 2 years ago
    Good people. Our national popular culture has defined the word
    Redskin not Lanacaster NY. This culture we created and in which we all participated considered the word to describe an ancient native warrior. A mythic figure that does not represent a nation, tribe or people. If it suits the nation to change, than change it will. The self righteous and autocratic left can be a part of that change but inspite of their words and contrived outrage they remain as culpable as anyone. The so called teachable moment falls on the School Board. The failure to first meet with the regional native population privately and discuss this suddenly "evolving issue" indicates poor leadership. Instead, we are all damaged by the News media vultures and their desire for division and discord.

Everything seemed pretty transparent to me in the district newsletter. As I posted elsewhere, since the reserves seem to be of high concern to some:

From the district newsletter:

"We have utilized our reserve funds, or rainy day savings, at the maximum levels allowed by NYS law while maintaining a steady approach to utilizing the balances given the volatile and unpredictable nature of state and federal funding for public education."

Use of fund balance
    Use of reserve funds: $5,215,786
    Appropriated surplus: $3,243,450
    Subtotal: $8,459,236

2016-17 tax rate impact: -.08
    2017-18 tax rate impact: +.19 (proj.)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Sojka View Post
    I have told you many times that I am the Helen Keller of computers. I copied and pasted the letter as it appears online . I did not change anything nor do I know how to . Look it up online and see the facts . Your wrong about your comments, when you look it up and see your wrong I will accept your apology. Man up Lee !!! You are making false claims ! No surprise .
    I apologize, Greg. I should have known from your past posts that your computer, comprehension and writing skills are lacking and you have often posted in the past making baseless, unfounded allegations and false narrative comments.

Yes, you copied and pasted right from the Buffalo News electronic news release but failed to realize it was not a staff report but a Letter-to-the Editor signed publication. Whereas I read the morning paper and seen the publication as it was intended and posted; no false claims here.

So, while you may claim innocence of intent, I hope you can understand that I see this as another manipulative move by you to denigrate the district administration and BOE.

You’re in a hole, Greg and you just keep digging.

GREAT letter Toni-

From the Lancaster Bee-
    2017-05-04 / Letters to the Editor

Incumbents deserve trust of district voters

Like all Lancaster residents, I am a big stakeholder in the May election for School Board trustees and the annual school budget.

With two children who are students in the Lancaster Central School District, our family has been fortunate to have experienced each level from elementary right up to the high school.

What my kids have had access to is far beyond what I could have ever wished for them during their educational journey.

My hope for them and for all of our children, is to continue to have all of the programs already offered, because Lancaster schools provide too good of a product to jeopardize.

It is with the utmost trust that I am supporting Patrick Uhteg, Mike Sage and Glenn Jackson, as I have seen up close their own hard work, dedication and volunteerism for our schools and community.

Lancaster is fortunate to have three involved, positive and exceptionally qualified parents of LCSD students to keep our district’s momentum moving forward to the benefit of all Lancaster residents.

I ask you to join me in voting for them on May 16 at the Lancaster High School and to support another well-managed, conservative school budget with a yes vote.

Toni Kaminski
    Village View

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Sojka View Post
    ==============

IMO, reference to yourself in this post is an affront to the memory of Helen Keller.

She would have more clearly seen​ the facts regarding the financial management and fiscal responsibility exhibited by the Superintendent, and the BOE.

The communication regarding the budget indicates that the budget has been managed to the NYS limits for reserve balances.

And your concerns have been reasonably and rationally refuted.

Helen Keller also would recognize and celebrate the outstanding performance in all aspects of the student experience.

In respect to Helen Keller(your reference), use all of your senses to come to your senses, and drop your personal vendettas.

Candidates should keep public informed
    With another contentious Lancaster School Board election coming, it seems like this year, only one side is making any effort to explain their platform and how they intend to achieve it.

Dr. Nargis Hossain and Melissa Studley have done an incredible job of explaining their positions and ideas for reform.

Each of these women have shown that they are more than qualified to serve on the board, possessing master’s and doctoral degrees and years of work experience directly related to education, budgeting and program evaluation.

Their website is fantastically put together, identifying six key issues, what they plan to do to improve them, and includes links to dozens of articles, materials and resources full of information elaborating on their topics.

Each statement they make is supported by publicized facts and statistics, displaying the validity of their thinking.

From what I’ve seen from the Uhteg/Sage/Jackson campaign, it could not be any different.

When I visited their campaign Facebook page, almost all I saw was personal bios and a link to their campaign GoFundMe page, re-posted three times in less than a week to try to raise campaign donations.

Uhteg/Sage appear to be running on their achievements, but those achievements are overrated and stagnating. This includes a recent decline in school and district ranking in two publications.

Uhteg/Sage helped champion a policy putting severe restrictions on which residents can speak at School Board meetings, while ignoring things like the bullying policy, which wasn’t updated since 2012.

The audit by the Office of the New York State Comptroller found significant issues with transparency and collecting more taxes than were necessary.

On May 16, the choice to me is very clear. Hossain and Studley have shown they have the passion, intellect and innovation to help the Lancaster school district serve the students, faculty and town.

Steven Flowers
    Madison Street

Was driving down Central today and noticed signs for Hossain and Studley had the Lancaster School District emblem on them. Pretty sure that's prohibited under education and or election law.
    Democrats & Republicans Suck Alike.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information