Thread: Breezy?!?! I'm not making this up. "destructive actions"

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Breezy?!?! I'm not making this up. "destructive actions"

Breezy,

I'm purposely not trying to point out the BS from the local www.ecdem.com party but did you catch this? This was on the www.ecdem.com facebook page.

Persist.

That is the message to take from yesterday’s special election in Georgia. Through the unyielding efforts of grassroots volunteers in Georgia and across the country—including individuals right here in Erie County—John Ossoff has let Donald Trump and Republicans know that they will be held accountable for their destructive actions.

We here at the ECDC want to say thank you to everyone who has worked so tirelessly these last few months. The amount of energy we’ve seen has been incredible. We need to continue this momentum and bring progressive, grassroots candidates to Erie County this fall.

https://www.facebook.com/eriecountyd...WSFEED&fref=nf

"they will be held accountable for their destructive actions"

So why doesn't the group review their own destructive actions?

Face it, it's fact, net taxpayers/businesses are leaving NYS. If it wasn't for the importation of refugees Erie County would have lost population.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Get this comment.

Between voter restriction, gerrymandering and smear campaigns, we keep losing elections.
    Voter restriction. How does that work Breezy? Were there people in that election that simply weren't allowed to vote? Or is it just an excuse political parties use to justify their loss?

Smear campaigns? Both parties have written books on smear campaigns.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Get this comment.

Voter restriction. How does that work Breezy? Were there people in that election that simply weren't allowed to vote? Or is it just an excuse political parties use to justify their loss?

Smear campaigns? Both parties have written books on smear campaigns.
    Voter suppression is probably a better term than restriction. There are plenty of states, mainly Republican led, that practice and implement voter suppression making it harder for citizens to vote in elections. If you don't believe this exists you have your head buried in the sand. This is far more common of a practice than actual voter fraud in this nation.

The fact remains that the Democrats lost the presidential election because of the candidate, Hillary, and not for any other reason.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Point me to one example where voter suppression is implemented. I want an example. An actual example where someone who wanted to vote could not.

Let us go back to this sentence:

Why doesn't the group hold themselves accountable for their destructive actions. One example is support for high taxation to the point of chasing people out of the state. That's fact.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    What is wrong with Mickey Kearns?

Who writes this stuff up for their page?

Erie County Democratic Committee

Mickey Kearns may be registered as a Democrat, but he is anti-choice, anti-LGBT, and has sold out to the Republican party for their endorsement. We need new voices in government, not recycled politicians looking for a new perch. We need someone who can hit the ground running and get things done for our community, not a stale retread who has been in office for 12 years without any genuine accomplishments. Kearns is the definition of a political insider.
    This article must have triggered that comment.

Robert McCarthy: Democrats again spurn 'outsider' Kearns

rie County Democrats spurned one of their most successful candidates of recent years last week when passing out their endorsement for clerk.

Same old, same old for Michael P. Kearns.
    http://buffalonews.com/2017/04/29/ou...ned-democrats/

Breezy,

I'm purposely not trying to point out the BS from the local www.ecdem.com party but did you catch this? This was on the www.ecdem.com facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/eriecountyd...WSFEED&fref=nf

So why doesn't the group review their own destructive actions?

Face it, it's fact, net taxpayers/businesses are leaving NYS. If it wasn't for the importation of refugees Erie County would have lost population.

Like you, WNYresident, I believe ECDC feels good getting their opinions off their chest and out there for anyone to see.

It's therapeutic in a sense.

Just look at all the political moves coming out of Washington and I could certainly understand why they feel a lot is destructive.

Yesterday's vote in the House could be Exhibit A.

Rolling back environmental protections is something ECDC would think is destructive to the future of the planet.

Anyone supporting the DEMS could go on and on here about other policy that they believe to be destructive.

I guess they'll leave all their (ECDC) so-called destructiveness, as you say, to you to get out there; making you happen to take a stand as well.

Getting angst off your chest is good, and forums like this and Facebook, are good for venting.

I guess they are simply Speaking Up!

And as far as 'net taxpayers/businesses are leaving NYS' well, we all know that GOP officeholders have been around these parts for a good long time.

What is wrong with Mickey Kearns?
    He does not have my vote!

I just can't tolerate someone who stands for any political party that gets him to his higher office. Always climbing the ladder and seeking more political power.

Can't support that myself.

I have LOTS of Republican friends and respect their views. And pals in all the political parties.

Someone who uses political parties like a vehicle to be traded is someone who has no sound ideology whatsoever.

When you constantly change your stripes - time and again - simply to get a boost over your opponent, it just seems cavalier and arrogant.

It's as if he would have not a care in the world about what political parties stand for.

It's no better than someone who has changed his party any number of times. Once, maybe no problem and understandable, but over and over is just too contrived and casual - or manufactured or artificial.

Sure he may get away with it.

Doesn't mean I have to support him.

And I applaud ECDC for rejecting that kind of approach.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by OutsidetheBox View Post
    Voter suppression is probably a better term than restriction. There are plenty of states, mainly Republican led, that practice and implement voter suppression making it harder for citizens to vote in elections. If you don't believe this exists you have your head buried in the sand. This is far more common of a practice than actual voter fraud in this nation.

The fact remains that the Democrats lost the presidential election because of the candidate, Hillary, and not for any other reason.

Point me to one example where voter suppression is implemented. I want an example. An actual example where someone who wanted to vote could not.

Here's one, North Carolina 2016 - https://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/08/o...lina.html?_r=0

Or how about lines to vote where they shutter polling locations so people need to wait for 5 or 6 hours in line to vote, and only the most motivated show up.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Breezy View Post
    Here's one, North Carolina 2016 - https://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/08/o...lina.html?_r=0

Or how about lines to vote where they shutter polling locations so people need to wait for 5 or 6 hours in line to vote, and only the most motivated show up.
    I don't believe there should be early voting in the first place. The article below doesn't target anyone specifically. It would target everyone worse case. I'm 100% fine with Voter-ID requirements.

You can easily change out white for black and Republican for Democrat in the article.

North Carolina Republicans are at it again. Barely one month after a federal appeals court struck down the state’s anti-voter law for suppressing White-American voter turnout “with almost surgical precision,” election officials in dozens of counties are taking up new ways to make it as hard as possible for whites, and others who tend to support republicans, to vote.

North Carolina Republicans are at it again. Barely one month after a federal appeals court struck down the state’s anti-voter law for suppressing African-American voter turnout “with almost surgical precision,” election officials in dozens of counties are taking up new ways to make it as hard as possible for blacks, and others who tend to support Democrats, to vote.

A ruling issued by the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals on July 29 invalidated most of a 2013 law. The court’s scathing opinion said that “because of race, the legislature enacted one of the largest restrictions of the franchise in modern North Carolina history.” The law, passed by a Republican-dominated legislature, imposed strict voter-ID requirements, cut back early-voting hours and eliminated same-day registration, out-of-precinct voting and preregistration for those under 18.

The court restored the week of early voting that the law had slashed, but it left it to local election boards to set the number of polling places and voting hours. This permitted those boards, all of which are led by Republicans, to cut voting hours below what they were for the 2012 election.

Dallas Woodhouse, the head of the state’s Republican Party, saw an opportunity and ran with it, writing in an August email to election officials that “Republicans can and should make party line changes to early voting.”

Every weekday, get thought-provoking commentary from Op-Ed columnists, the Times editorial board and contributing writers from around the world.
    Receive occasional updates and special offers for The New York Times's products and services.

Election boards in 23 of the state’s 100 counties have now reduced early voting hours, in some cases to a small fraction of what they were in the 2012 presidential election, according to an analysis by The Raleigh News & Observer. Boards in nine counties voted to eliminate Sunday voting. Both early voting and Sunday voting are used disproportionately by black voters.

While boards in 70 counties voted to expand the number of early-voting hours, the counties that moved to cut hours back account for half of the state’s registered voters. In heavily Democratic Mecklenburg County — the state’s largest, with about one million residents — Republican board members voted to eliminate 238 early-voting hours despite near-unanimous appeals from the public to add more. In 2012, African-Americans in Mecklenburg used early voting at a far higher rate than whites.
    Continue reading the main story

The board’s chairwoman, Mary Potter Summa, said she was “not a fan of early voting,” which she claimed presented more opportunities for “violations,” even though there is no evidence that early voting, which is used by more than half of all North Carolinians, carries an increased risk of fraud.

The specter of fraud has been used to justify voter-suppression efforts across the country, even though there is virtually no evidence of fraud. In its ruling, the Fourth Circuit said that lawmakers “failed to identify even a single individual who has ever been charged with committing in-person voter fraud in North Carolina.”

What is far more dangerous to the integrity of American elections is the persistent efforts of lawmakers to disenfranchise large numbers of minority voters, rather than to work to win their votes with a party platform that treats them with respect.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/08/o...lina.html?_r=1

Tony Fracasso - Admin

I just can't tolerate someone who stands for any political party that gets him to his higher office. Always climbing the ladder and seeking more political power.
    What are you talking about? That is the mantra of just about every elected person in the Erie County Democratic party including the republican party.

Can't support that myself.

I have LOTS of Republican friends and respect their views. And pals in all the political parties.

Someone who uses political parties like a vehicle to be traded is someone who has no sound ideology whatsoever.

When you constantly change your stripes - time and again - simply to get a boost over your opponent, it just seems cavalier and arrogant.

It's as if he would have not a care in the world about what political parties stand for.

It's no better than someone who has changed his party any number of times. Once, maybe no problem and understandable, but over and over is just too contrived and casual - or manufactured or artificial.

Sure he may get away with it.

Doesn't mean I have to support him.

And I applaud ECDC for rejecting that kind of approach.
    Don't fall over, but (I can't believe I'm saying this) I agree with what you posted here.

I don't believe there should be early voting in the first place. The article below doesn't target anyone specifically. It would target everyone worse case. I'm 100% fine with Voter-ID requirements.

You can easily change out white for black and Republican for Democrat in the article.
    Any time politicians put roadblocks up so it's harder to vote, well, it's voter suppression.

You asked for just one example, and that's that!

What's wrong with early voting?

Here's an example.

Voter ID is great, when you can ensure people can actually get the ID!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.ae14633b8990

HOUSTON — In his wallet, Anthony Settles carries an expired Texas identification card, his Social Security card and an old student ID from the University of Houston, where he studied math and physics decades ago. What he does not have is the one thing that he needs to vote this presidential election: a current Texas photo ID.

For Settles to get one of those, his name has to match his birth certificate — and it doesn’t. In 1964, when he was 14, his mother married and changed his last name. After Texas passed a new voter-ID law, officials told Settles he had to show them his name-change certificate from 1964 to qualify for a new identification card to vote.

So with the help of several lawyers, Settles tried to find it, searching records in courthouses in the D.C. area, where he grew up. But they could not find it. To obtain a new document changing his name to the one he has used for 51 years, Settles has to go to court, a process that would cost him more than $250 — more than he is willing to pay.

“It has been a bureaucratic nightmare,” said Settles, 65, a retired engineer. “The intent of this law is to suppress the vote. I feel like I am not wanted in this state.”

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Early vote for the most part doesn't allow for a person to easily change their vote. Let us say you vote 3 weeks early and 3 days before elections you find out your candidate is a child molester. You need to make the effort to change your vote or not bother with it. Vote on election day so you have all the facts up until election day.

I could see either political party pushing their club to vote as early as possible. As more and more facts come out there is less of a chance of it harming their candidate if the vote is already placed. Place your vote before the BS is exposed.

With your logic we should have year round voting, no id required and the person doesn't even have to go to vote. Just let people call in and place their vote.

Thread Information