Thread: Lancaster school district state aid GROWS !

Lancaster school district state aid GROWS !

Thanks for posting the link, Greg

School Aid by the Numbers

Georgia L Schlager

Hey Greg:

I am sure that in posting those state aid figures it was to show that Lancaster will be receiving 4.73% more in state aid. I thought it more informative (and complex and confusing) when reading the entire Buffalo News report.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/04/08/st...ll-status-quo/

Here’s what is confusing to me and maybe you have the answers:

1) The numbers reported are for state aid only and do not include ‘Foundation Aid’. The numbers indicate that the district will be receiving $1.40 million more that what Cuomo was calling for - $31.09 million instead of $29.06 million.

2) In last week’s final draft budget, the district estimated receiving $35.51 million in state aid, an increase of $939,300 over last year’s $34.56 million received in state aid.

3) The numbers in #1 and #2 are not even close. The Lancaster Central School District (LCSD) has made it known that in the last several years they had received $97 million less in foundation aid than promised by the state so the foundation aid number can have a big impact on the final state aid numbers.

So Greg, if we have a boat load of more money from the state we should use it to lower the estimated 1.15% tax rate increase.

What I found needed to be added to your posting was the fact that there are still school districts in fiscal stress because of spending down reserves because of GEP; from state aid and foundation aid shortfalls. While you keep hammering on the excessive reserve funds, I find they were a Godsend that got use through the difficult 2010-2016 years without impacting programs and staff.

Perhaps you can explain all of this and then tell me why you and some prospective BOE member candidates feel LCSD is poorly run by the current administration.

And maybe you can also tell me, considering that you as an opt out advocate, whether the large opt out turnout in Lancaster last week impacts Business First rankings?

Lee, I have heard and read the praises of Lancaster administrators , awards, and rankings. The state audit of the Lancaster school district stated that the Lancaster taxpayers deserve a tax break . Lee do you disagree with the audit ? That they have excess funds in their rainy day fund . Lancaster teachers LCTA union has not endorsed a current Lancaster board member in 3 years. Lancaster is ranked #14 as per the NICHE NYS school rankings . How many other school districts give their superintendent a 5 year contract that he renews every May ? Student enrollment is dropping in Lancaster . Will the Superintendent cut administrators or teachers? I believe the teachers need more help in the trenches. LCTA you have an opportunity to change the status quo , chose wisely.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    Hey Greg:

I am sure that in posting those state aid figures it was to show that Lancaster will be receiving 4.73% more in state aid. I thought it more informative (and complex and confusing) when reading the entire Buffalo News report.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/04/08/st...ll-status-quo/

Here’s what is confusing to me and maybe you have the answers:

1) The numbers reported are for state aid only and do not include ‘Foundation Aid’. The numbers indicate that the district will be receiving $1.40 million more that what Cuomo was calling for - $31.09 million instead of $29.06 million.

2) In last week’s final draft budget, the district estimated receiving $35.51 million in state aid, an increase of $939,300 over last year’s $34.56 million received in state aid.

3) The numbers in #1 and #2 are not even close. The Lancaster Central School District (LCSD) has made it known that in the last several years they had received $97 million less in foundation aid than promised by the state so the foundation aid number can have a big impact on the final state aid numbers.

So Greg, if we have a boat load of more money from the state we should use it to lower the estimated 1.15% tax rate increase.

What I found needed to be added to your posting was the fact that there are still school districts in fiscal stress because of spending down reserves because of GEP; from state aid and foundation aid shortfalls. While you keep hammering on the excessive reserve funds, I find they were a Godsend that got use through the difficult 2010-2016 years without impacting programs and staff.

Perhaps you can explain all of this and then tell me why you and some prospective BOE member candidates feel LCSD is poorly run by the current administration.

And maybe you can also tell me, considering that you as an opt out advocate, whether the large opt out turnout in Lancaster last week impacts Business First rankings?
    ===========================

And maybe you can explain your objection to the numbers.

The increase in state aide is $1,405,108

Expenses at my household have increased and I would expect the school district would experience the same.

So here are some additional facts

Proposed Budget Increase: $2,346,313
    (Per budget from last reliable communication)

Less increased state aide: $1,405,108

Short fall $941,205
    (Tax payer projected impact)

Per the budget communication, the following important fact is fairly important to the success of our school district

Increase in Instructional $1,223,683

Increase in levy. $1,071,990

Lessons Learned:

1- Lancaster expenses increased
    2- state aide increased
    3- the budgetary increase was more than state allotment by $1,071,990
    4- the instructional expenses increased $1,223,683
    5- the additional obligation for the tax payers is for instructional expense, in support of the heart and sole of our school district, our teachers

If we are going to pass on a reasonable increase in the budget, and the tax levy,

I suggest we spend that investment on the children of our district who represent our future

THOUGHTS?

I vote to invest in our teachers!!!!!

In addition, where do you get your numbers regarding the reserves? What source reports to you the over-inflated balance in reserves that exist today? And what facts do you possess that indicate the reserve position is excessive?

As usual, you seem to be short on supportable facts.

The latest reliable budget figures indicate that the school district is drawing down on rainy day reserves to balance the budget.

Thank goodness, as with you own budget, that those funds are available to ease the tax payer pressure of unexpected expenses. This discussion is not about your grudge against a successfully superintendent, but about the true financial stresses faces by Lancaster, and the wise financial planning of the district to insure the continued educational success of the district due to wise financial planning.

Show us your current factual information

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I suggest we spend that investment on the children of our district who represent our future

THOUGHTS?

I vote to invest in our teachers!!!!!

How does one invest in teachers?

Will money be spent to hire more teachers or just increase wages or cover health insurance cost increases?

So again I ask . Is the NYS audit of Lancaster central school district that said The taxpayers of Lancaster deserve a tax break wrong ? The truth has no agenda . We Lancaster taxpayers deserve a tax break as per the audit report. Readers of Speak up WNY do your own homework as see who is being truthful. Or maybe the NYS auditors are against the Administration? LOL .

Lancaster Bee Letter to the editor from a former Lancaster school board member..................Use excess reserve funds for spending spike
    The Lancaster School District has done an admirable job in keeping school tax increases at a reasonable level while improving academic programming.

The average annual tax rate increase has been below 2 percent for the past five years.

The district is currently preparing next year’s budget but is facing some significant cost increases, some of which are beyond the district’s control.

Medical insurance benefits and special education costs are once again spiraling upward.

Last year, the state comptroller’s audit report stated that the district levied more taxes than were necessary to fund operations and criticized the district for having millions of dollars in excess reserve funds.

In order to maintain a tax rate increase at an acceptable level, some of the excess reserve funds should be used to pay for the spike in expenditures.

Richard Foley
    Deerpath Drive
    Lancaster

[QUOTE=Greg Sojka;1711867]

Lee do you disagree with the audit? That they have excess funds in their rainy day fund.
    The state comptroller may believe the reserves to be excessive but unlike many households who have no reserves to pay for a rainy day event, I like the comfort of having such funds available should a rainy day event take place. Yes, although the estimated tax rate increase is only 1.5%, a zero tax rate increase would be welcomed.

Lancaster teachers LCTA union has not endorsed a current Lancaster board member in 3 years.
    Didn’t the LTA endorse the lady they deemed neutral last year supposedly regarding her position neutral regarding the Redskin name change?

Lancaster is ranked #14 as per the NICHE NYS school rankings.
    The only Erie County school district to be named in the top 100 NICHE rankings was Williamsville. Lancaster was ranked 6th in the Buffalo Niagara region.

How many other school districts give their superintendent a 5 year contract that he renews every May ?
    According to district size, quality of education and market value the BOE believes he deserves it – unlike you. And that’s fine, Greg. You are entitled to your opinion, but so far you have been posting with emotion and not facts.

Student enrollment is dropping in Lancaster . Will the Superintendent cut administrators or teachers? I believe the teachers need more help in the trenches. LCTA you have an opportunity to change the status quo , chose wisely.
    Student attendance has been dropping for some time and there have been no staffing or program cuts.

How so do teachers deserve more help in the trenches? Please explain to low income families and/or families on fixed budgets how you can miss stating that the teachers received a 4.05% wage increase this year, have excellent health care plans with dental and vision at low premium costs, retire with generous pensions and pay no state taxes at taxpayer expense. Are you saying I should vote down a budget with an estimated 1.15% tax rate increase (which could now be less with more state aid coming)?

I know that you are supporting the campaign of three candidates; candidates who like last year’s losers held like campaign agenda rhetoric. I will not be attending the Roundtable Meet the Candidates Night or the meet the candidates night when the budget is presented to the public. Had enough of the disingenuous, BS answers. However, I will tell you what questions I would have asked of the candidates:

• Do you support approval of the 2017-18 budget?
    • Are you an advocate of the opt-out movement?
    • Do you believe that the high percentage of Lancaster student opt-outs adversely impacts a school’s ranking or has no impact at all.
    • If elected, do you have any intent of supporting the return of the Redskin name under any circumstance?
    • If elected, is one of your goals to fire Superintendent Vallely for incompetence?

Originally posted by Greg Sojka:
    How many other school districts give their superintendent a 5 year contract that he renews every May ?
    Lancaster Csd Superintendent Download 6/30/2019 7/1/2014 Notify board by April 1st each year of interest in extending contract one more year

Here's a few -

Williamsville Csd Superintendent Download 5/31/2018 6/1/2013 Notify board by April 1st each year

Clarence Csd Superintendent Download 6/30/2021 7/1/2016 Notify board by July 1st every year

Depew Ufsd Superintendent Download 6/30/2020 7/1/2015 Notify board in April each year

Iroquois Csd Superintendent Download 6/30/2018 7/1/2013 Notify board in February each year

Akron Csd Superintendent Download 6/30/2019 7/14/2014

West Seneca Csd Superintendent Download 6/30/2021 7/1/2011

Cheektowaga-Maryvale Ufsd Superintendent Download 6/30/2018 7/1/2013 Notify by board by April 1st each year

Cheektowaga-Sloan Ufsd Superintendent Download 6/30/2021 7/1/2016 Notify board during April each year

Georgia L Schlager

Purpose of Audit
    The purpose of our audit was to review the District’s financial condition for the period July 1, 2012 through December 8, 2015.

Background

The Lancaster Central School District (District) is located in the Towns of Lancaster, Cheektowaga and Elma in Erie County. The District, which operates seven schools with approximately 5,700 students, is governed by an elected seven-member Board of Education. Budgeted appropriations for the 2015-16 fiscal year totaled approximately $100 million.

Key Findings
    During the 2012-13 through 2014-15 fiscal years, the Board adopted budgets that included the use of fund balance and reserves to finance operations.

District officials have not developed a plan to ensure that debt reserve funds are used for related debt obligations.

The written policy for reserves does not address how the suitable balance for each of the reserves will be determined or when these funds will be used or replenished.

Key Recommendations

Develop realistic estimates of appropriations and the use of fund balance and reserves in the annual budget.

Ensure the debt reserve is used to pay related debt as required.

Update the existing reserve policy by indicating the amount of funds to be reserved, how each reserve will be funded and when the balances will be used and replenished to finance related costs.

Georgia L Schlager

so, 12 posts in and greg already:

- misstates the amount of aid LCSD is receiving from the state
    - incorrectly implies 5 year extensions for superintendents is outside of the norm
    - pulls NICHE ratings out of thin air
    - grossly misstates the conclusions of the audit

maybe the dead cat hat on his head is too tight and is restricting blood flow?

The state aid increase of 4.73% should offset the proposed budget increase for the 2017-2018.

Our support for our educators should be priority, the administrators are compensated well. No worries there, I still will argue that the teachers are not compensated to the extent they should be, the increased work load is monumental with the increase in the social difficulties and financial burdens we are seeing.

Thread Information