PDA

View Full Version : buffalo bars....memories...

bigpoppapuff
March 14th, 2008, 11:25 AM
http://www.pbase.com/kjosker/buffalo_bars

i remember a whole bunch of 'em....

Ms.Depew.to.you
March 14th, 2008, 11:57 AM
It's missing Spankys and Regans.

bigpoppapuff
March 14th, 2008, 11:59 AM
It's missing Spankys and Regans.

i thought regans was there.....

i was in many of them....and worked in a few (bouncer or dj)...

WNYresident
March 14th, 2008, 12:03 PM
There is an excellent website I'll find the link for. A little history of the bars around Buffalo.

bigpoppapuff
March 14th, 2008, 12:05 PM
another thing.....in the messages,many peoples names are thrown out.....i know so many of them....that's the way it is/was in the bar scene....

unioncop
March 14th, 2008, 12:26 PM
just at Eddie Brady's the other day the guiness were tasting great

NoCtUrNaL
March 14th, 2008, 12:37 PM
The Masthead must have been a cold place to drink what with no roof and walls and whatnot.

bigpoppapuff
March 14th, 2008, 12:37 PM
just at Eddie Brady's the other day the guiness were tasting great

worked with eddie and his brother, pat...

NoCtUrNaL
March 14th, 2008, 12:48 PM
BTW...one of my local haunts used to be Hotel California on Hertel and Virgil which is now Senior Housing.

There used to be a drive-in in West Seneca I frequented which is now a medical complex.

Pretty telling.

bigpoppapuff
March 14th, 2008, 12:52 PM
BTW...one of my local haunts used to be Hotel California on Hertel and Virgil which is now Senior Housing.

There used to be a drive-in in West Seneca I frequented which is now a medical complex.

Pretty telling.

prior to the hotel california...it was alliota's...owned by the same people that own goodbar....in later years it was yuk-yuks...then the comedy trap...

NoCtUrNaL
March 14th, 2008, 01:00 PM
prior to the hotel california...it was alliota's...owned by the same people that own goodbar....in later years it was yuk-yuks...then the comedy trap...

Never knew it as "alliota's".

BTW: I won't ask how old you are, but where were you drinking when Mckinley was shot? :D

bigpoppapuff
March 14th, 2008, 01:09 PM

BTW: I won't ask how old you are, but where were you drinking when Mckinley was shot? :D

mid 50's...but old enough to remember tinney cadillac and mernan chevy...:D

Roadrunner69
March 14th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Hey big, your right around my century. I have two bars we used to frequent one was at the corner of Main and Transit I believe and the second one was in Lockport always good for Rock N Roll bands I just can't remember names in the mid 70's. I remember coming home one night from Lockport in a blinding snow storm and my buddy spun out twice and took out a mailbox all three times we had to get out and push him out. I just remembered the name I think it was After Dark a long ride just to party.

Effigy
March 14th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Before it was the After Dark it was called Keystone 90s.

On Main just east of Transit was Harvey and Corky's Stage One. U2 played there.

I miss McVans... live music 7 nights a week. Owner Joe Tirose would give anybody a chance to play there, usually on a Sunday night with two other bands. If you did well, he'd let you open on a Friday or Saturday.

bigpoppapuff
March 14th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Before it was the After Dark it was called Keystone 90s.

On Main just east of Transit was Harvey and Corky's Stage One. U2 played there.

I miss McVans... live music 7 nights a week. Owner Joe Tirose would give anybody a chance to play there, usually on a Sunday night with two other bands. If you did well, he'd let you open on a Friday or Saturday.

also on main at transit....across from the brew pub....what was the name of that place??...

pumped
March 14th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Kevin Elliot owned the bar at Main and Transit where Friday's is now.
How about the Pierce Arrow - first in West Seneca and then at Sheridan and Evans. Eddy Brady worked there.
How about Brunners on Main and Eggert. And the Park Meadow across from the Zoo?
Anybody remember the One Eyed Cat off Main Street by Children's Hospital.

bigpoppapuff
March 14th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Kevin Elliot owned the bar at Main and Transit where Friday's is now.
How about the Pierce Arrow - first in West Seneca and then at Sheridan and Evans. Eddy Brady worked there.
How about Brunners on Main and Eggert. And the Park Meadow across from the Zoo?
Anybody remember the One Eyed Cat off Main Street by Children's Hospital.

kevin was a good friend....what was the name of the place...??
brunner's is still there...great bar food....owned by the brinkworths
PM...long gone
the cat was a hang out of mine...terry murphy was an old friend...(he was the 2nd owner)

Harlem World
March 14th, 2008, 03:49 PM

how about the Allman Brothers stabbing death there too

Harlem World
March 14th, 2008, 03:50 PM
also on main at transit....across from the brew pub....what was the name of that place??...

Jaguar something?

pumped
March 14th, 2008, 04:45 PM
Yellow Monkey???

Daisy H
March 14th, 2008, 04:46 PM
LOTS of old bars left out of that link..

Effigy
March 15th, 2008, 12:57 AM

I'll have to think for a while on this. If you come up with the answer, please post it!

Riven37
March 15th, 2008, 08:09 AM

Your also missing McVans, The Showboat, Casey's, Mickey Rats City Bar, The Volcano, The Infernal, The Hullabaloo, Fisherman's Wharf, The Silver Dollar, The Jefferson Grill, and many, many more. And many have come and gone through the years.

bigpoppapuff
March 15th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Your also missing McVans, The Showboat, Casey's, Mickey Rats City Bar, The Volcano, The Infernal, The Hullabaloo, Fisherman's Wharf, The Silver Dollar, The Jefferson Grill, and many, many more. And many have come and gone through the years.

which casey's??......hertel ave or elmwood...or both.....butch was another old friend....and both places were regular stops for me...(especially hertel)...

Riven37
March 15th, 2008, 11:13 AM
which casey's??......hertel ave or elmwood...or both.....butch was another old friend....and both places were regular stops for me...(especially hertel)...

Hertel Ave...The main bar in the 60's

bigpoppapuff
March 15th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Hertel Ave...The main bar in the 60's

i was there every night...butchie,pops,"dorty".....remember the grill??....one of the first in buffalo...great burgers and steak sandwiches...

dorty (dorothy...butch's mom) just passed away a few weeks ago...

bigpoppapuff
March 15th, 2008, 11:32 AM
dennis ring,jim catalano,joe illuzzi,jim muscoreil,jim sotet......a few of the guys that we hung with...there were many.....eddie rittling,terry murphy,nick giardina,ronny schrutt.......more names popping up.....more than a few i'm still close friends with...

countrygirl
March 15th, 2008, 12:50 PM
how about the Mug? It was in the plaza across the street from Caseys on Hertel. Alot of good bands played there.Draft beer was 10 cents!:cool:

bigpoppapuff
March 15th, 2008, 12:53 PM
how about the Mug? It was in the plaza across the street from Caseys on Hertel. Alot of good bands played there.Draft beer was 10 cents!:cool:

owned by ron adymy....another old friend.....i was there...a lot!!...actually met my first ex-wife there...

countrygirl
March 15th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Wasn't the hullabaloo on delaware in a plaza near great arrow? Very small and if you wore white it glowed in the dark? I was only 15 at the time, never had a problem being served anywhere back then.;)

bigpoppapuff
March 15th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Wasn't the hullabaloo on delaware in a plaza near great arrow? Very small and if you wore white it glowed in the dark? I was only 15 at the time, never had a problem being served anywhere back then.;)

apparently you were a north buffalonian.....yep...i believer you're right about the hullabaloo.....then it became a turgeon restaurant...(name??....i dunno)

Riven37
March 15th, 2008, 02:29 PM
apparently you were a north buffalonian.....yep...i believer you're right about the hullabaloo.....then it became a turgeon restaurant...(name??....i dunno)

Your right, I was always at the Hullabaloo then on to Casey's lol I got served everywhere. I had a mustache

Riven37
March 15th, 2008, 02:31 PM

Oh there too. I was personal friend with the warlock band, and what about the Barrelhead Bar

Riven37
March 15th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Here's another good one who remembers the Frat days lol Tall, KT, Sigma Fi, Omega Phi Beta, lol Goes hand in hand with the old bar days lol

Riven37
March 15th, 2008, 02:37 PM

countrygirl, the funny part of this memories stuff, we all most likely knew each other back then or at least spoken to each other lol at one time during those days.

countrygirl
March 15th, 2008, 03:09 PM
You're right. We probably all were in the same bar at one time or another. I graduated from Bennett HS "70 ( I know, old huh?), . How about the Tweeds? I was at one or two of their rehersals in their moms basement. One of my girlfriends dated Dave Constantino. Ya, I got served every where, didn't have a mustache....just cleavage! lol ;)

bigpoppapuff
March 15th, 2008, 03:12 PM
. Ya, I got served every where, didn't have a mustache....just cleavage! lol ;)

HOO-AH!!!

winfield31
March 15th, 2008, 03:29 PM
kevin was a good friend....what was the name of the place...??
brunner's is still there...great bar food....owned by the brinkworths
PM...long gone
the cat was a hang out of mine...terry murphy was an old friend...(he was the 2nd owner) was the bar/restaurant on Main/Transit owned by Kevin called "The Yankee Whaler" ?

winfield31
March 15th, 2008, 03:31 PM
did aliota own "Dirty Dick's Bathouse" also ? Over on Main , near Michigan ?

bigpoppapuff
March 15th, 2008, 03:34 PM
was the bar/restaurant on Main/Transit owned by Kevin called "The Yankee Whaler" ?

that might be it......he also owned (or ran) the century house...on main..in eggertsville...

bigpoppapuff
March 15th, 2008, 03:35 PM

i don't remember that as being an alliotta place...they did own binky brown's on grant st...

winfield31
March 15th, 2008, 03:37 PM
i don't remember that as being an alliotta place...they did own binky brown's on grant st... alfieri owned the place down the street from Dirty Dick's , I forget that name now , DUH !????! I don't remember binky brown's on Grant or much about alliotta....... AH , The Stuffed Mushroom !

Cgoodsp466
March 15th, 2008, 03:42 PM
The williamsville Inn,and the Charter House,If you couldnt get laid there you were a leper,or dead. Mothers and Lucifers Den.

bigpoppapuff
March 15th, 2008, 03:43 PM
alfieri owned the place down the street from Dirty Dick's , I forget that name now , DUH !????! I don't remember binky brown's on Grant or much about alliotta....... AH , The Stuffed Mushroom !

binky brown's is a laundramat now...almost across from the post office...my best friend was a bouncer there and got knifed...didn't know it (it was a razor blade)....he thought he got slapped....he had blood all over his front....it missed his tear duct by about 1/16 of an inch...

wheresthesun
March 15th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Turned into Great Gatsby? There was a train running along the perimeter of the ceiling molding.

bigpoppapuff
March 15th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Turned into Great Gatsby? There was a train running along the perimeter of the ceiling molding.

was it the gatsby??.....i remember when it was the salad bowl......i do remember the train...

winfield31
March 15th, 2008, 03:52 PM
was it the gatsby??.....i remember when it was the salad bowl......i do remember the train... I thought that was the "Boardwalk Cafe" ?

wheresthesun
March 15th, 2008, 03:56 PM
I thought that was the "Boardwalk Cafe" ?
That's it, you are correct! It was at the North end of the strip mall at Great Arrow and Delaware Avenue.

winfield31
March 15th, 2008, 03:57 PM
That's it, you are correct! It was at the North end of the strip mall at Great Arrow and Delaware Avenue.BINGO !

bigpoppapuff
March 15th, 2008, 03:58 PM

boardwalk cafe...that's it...the great gatsby was on bailey,i think...the old 300 club....

winfield31
March 15th, 2008, 03:58 PM
I remember that train..............my ball team used to try & hit it with chicken wings...........

Member 2358
March 15th, 2008, 03:59 PM
The place on Main & Transit that was once the Yankee Whaler changed names to the Salty Dog when it became a rock joint. The Yellow Jaguar was across the street in the hotel kinda next to Melanies (now The Brew place). After Dark f/k/a Keystone 90 was owned by the same guy that had the Crossbow on Sheridan (n the same building that was a Ground Round... now some bank). Stage 1 was f/k/a Poor House and Patrick Henrys. FYI, the Barrellhead just had a reunion out in West Seneca. Some may also recall some of these...

Trivet House... Genesee & Transit
Bowinkles... Broadway near Transit
Fat Cat... Hertel near Elmwood.
He & She's... later known as Backstage.
Three Coins... Manniquins... Outta Tune Saloon
Mean Guys East (yeah, and West).
Holland Willows
Four Stallions (might still be there?)
Uncle Sam's on Walden had live rock on & off... Then it became S.P.I.T. heheh
knickerbockers across from Sam's was live rock on Fri/Sat.
The lounge in the hotel on Walden had live rock for a while too... so did the one in the Airport Holiday Inn.
The Point After in NT... that susequenty blew to smithereens. Yipes!
The place with a gazillion names on Youngs had some good periods.

Played in all of these places. Million years ago. Ugh!

Daisy H
March 15th, 2008, 04:02 PM
I remember that train..............my ball team used to try & hit it with chicken wings...........

Ha! Can you imagine what they found up there when they finally took that train down?

winfield31
March 15th, 2008, 04:03 PM
bpp , being from NoBuf , you must know of "Dill's" , I believe it's or "was?" on Military near Hertel ? Also what about Murray's , I girl I knew (who used to waitress at Micket Rats) named Kathy used to hang-out at both places as did her dad & brother Mike .........

winfield31
March 15th, 2008, 04:06 PM
The place on Main & Transit that was once the Yankee Whaler changed names to the Salty Dog when it became a rock joint. The Yellow Jaguar was across the street in the hotel kinda next to Melanies (now The Brew place). After Dark f/k/a Keystone 90 was owned by the same guy that had the Crossbow on Sheridan (n the same building that was a Ground Round... now some bank). Stage 1 was f/k/a Poor House and Patrick Henrys. FYI, the Barrellhead just had a reunion out in West Seneca. Some may also recall some of these...

Holland Willows
The lounge in the hotel on Walden had live rock for a while too.
The place with a gazillion names on Youngs had some good periods. :) You mentioned Stage 1 , I remember a "Stage Door" on Pearl St. which was one of the last "strip" joints near Chippewa St. I remember being a kid & seeing a gal dance there with a "censaerian(sic?)" scar once , really freaked me out...........:eek:

Member 2358
March 15th, 2008, 04:10 PM
:) You mentioned Stage 1 , I remember a "Stage Door" on Pearl St. which was one of the last "strip" joints near Chippewa St. I remember being a kid & seeing a gal dance there with a "censaerian(sic?)" scar once , really freaked me out...........:eek:

Ewwww!

Achbek1
March 15th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Holland Willows
The lounge in the hotel on Walden had live rock for a while too... so did the one in the Airport Holiday Inn.

No offense, because I love you 2358, but I'm glad the Outta Tune Saloon went under. They were jackasses, utter and total jackasses!

They used to think they were being all funny, but they were offensive.

They pulled me up on stage once when I was only 21 and started singing about how I supposedly had a, let's just say, method of performing a sexual act... They also picked apart my looks. I was mortified.

They grabbed one of my single guy friends too and lambasted him.

Glad that joint's a Pier I now. Big improvement.

winfield31
March 15th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Ewwww! :eek: Tell me about it...............DOUBLE-EWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!:eek:

joe d.
March 15th, 2008, 04:57 PM
That's it, you are correct! It was at the North end of the strip mall at Great Arrow and Delaware Avenue.
That restaurant was once called the "CAVE" back in my fraternity days....many good fights and ass kiikin there..back then!:D

joe d.
March 15th, 2008, 05:08 PM
MONDAY NIGHTS, WERE THE BEST!! $1.50 BOUGHT YOU A PLASTIC CUP..ALL THE DRAFT BEER YOU COULD DRINK:p
Remember a real big tall blonde with long hair,always there..like a fixture..everyone called her "molly mug"!!:D
It was so crowded on Monday nights..after a few beers..didnt bother hittin' the urinal...right at the bar....and no one even bothered to notice.
CASEYS..across the street, had my first drink served to me, at 16.
Remember when BUTCHY graduated from highschool.."Pops" bought him a brand new dark blue corvette conv 64' or 65'...boy that didnt stay in one piece for long. Wracked it up with the cops chasin him!:o
I STILL CAN TASTE THOSE STEAK SANDWICHES!!!:p

Effigy
March 15th, 2008, 05:13 PM
The williamsville Inn,and the Charter House,If you couldnt get laid there you were a leper,or dead. Mothers and Lucifers Den.

Was Lucifers Den on Lasalle @ Delaware in Kenmore? It was (something) Den, I think. And there was the Golden Pheasant up Delaware a piece.

Correction - It was Bachelor's Den on Lasalle...

Effigy
March 15th, 2008, 05:23 PM
After Dark f/k/a Keystone 90 was owned by the same guy that had the Crossbow on Sheridan

Charlie Neill...

I don't remember that, and I live nearby. I'm pretty sure it was still He & She's when it closed. It had previously been called Mother Tuckers, though.

Poorhouse E&W also?

Holland Willows
That's closed now?

Rooftops/Salty Dog on Seneca St.

Riven37
March 15th, 2008, 06:18 PM
boardwalk cafe...that's it...the great gatsby was on bailey,i think...the old 300 club....

Before the 300 club its was Edwardo's. then Gatsby, then 300 club, then the tropicana, then burned down lol I think

bigpoppapuff
March 15th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Before the 300 club its was Edwardo's. then Gatsby, then 300 club, then the tropicana, then burned down lol I think

still there...drove by it yesterday....

Riven37
March 15th, 2008, 06:22 PM

Ah, I ran Dirty Dicks Bathhouse I worked there from 1973 until the Lang brothers closed it down. Then I went and worked at the Candlelight Room then I quit.

Riven37
March 15th, 2008, 06:25 PM
i don't remember that as being an alliotta place...they did own binky brown's on grant st...

NO. Tommy Lang Buffalo Firemen owned it with his brother. In 74 Tommy sold it to his brother, I continued to work for them until the end.

Riven37
March 15th, 2008, 06:30 PM
another good place was the old Whisky Mike's Bar on Delavan Ave. where ll the bikers hang out at pulse the other people.

Riven37
March 15th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Joe De Bares place on Grant St. bad place too much mob people. I knew Frank Nettie from Kappa Beta then it was cool.

Riven37
March 15th, 2008, 06:33 PM
The Big 10 remember the murder there.

bigpoppapuff
March 15th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Joe De Bares place on Grant St. bad place too much mob people. I knew Frank Nettie from Kappa Beta then it was cool.

it wasn't joe de bares...it was joe the bear's...and it wasn't on grant st...it was on hampshire....awesome ribs!!!

hampshire and 14th,btw.....they moved to another place...not the bar,but the rib operation (ganci's delicatessan)....for a short while...then closed for good....

bigpoppapuff
March 15th, 2008, 06:38 PM
binky brown's became the night gallery (not so affectionally known as "the fight gallery")...when my buddy got knifed there was during the "fight gallery" days...

Riven37
March 15th, 2008, 08:16 PM
it wasn't joe de bares...it was joe the bear's...and it wasn't on grant st...it was on hampshire....awesome ribs!!!

hampshire and 14th,btw.....they moved to another place...not the bar,but the rib operation (ganci's delicatessan)....for a short while...then closed for good....

No on grant st. Joe De Bares (the bare) god 40 years ago, bar sat on the right side of grant st. middle, pool table off to the right side of the small rear backroom. Most of the mob dudes drank there, and Joe was pretty big guy heavy set always wore a hat. Or I was too drunk to remember lol. It was a small bar real small bar. THe bar itself was on the left side as you walked into the place lol

bigpoppapuff
March 15th, 2008, 08:26 PM
No on grant st. Joe De Bares (the bare) god 40 years ago, bar sat on the right side of grant st. middle, pool table off to the right side of the small rear backroom. Most of the mob dudes drank there, and Joe was pretty big guy heavy set always wore a hat. Or I was too drunk to remember lol. It was a small bar real small bar. THe bar itself was on the left side as you walked into the place lol

you're thinking of the arkansas.....joe the bear was at hampshire and 14th....

Riven37
March 15th, 2008, 08:34 PM
you're thinking of the arkans....joe the bear was at hampshire and 14th....

Did Joe hang there too ? I remember meeting Frank Nettie on Grant and Ferry and walking up to Bares..I was on drugs back then lol Even my memories are failing me lol

bigpoppapuff
March 15th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Did Joe hang there too ? I remember meeting Frank Nettie on Grant and Ferry and walking up to Bares..I was on drugs back then lol Even my memories are failing me lol

if not mistaken...the arkansas (pronounced are can zus) was red fortunato....it was only about 50 feet away from joe the bear...

Riven37
March 15th, 2008, 08:50 PM
if not mistaken...the arkansas (pronounced are can zus) was red fortunato....it was only about 50 feet away from joe the bear...

I bet your right like I said, I was half gone by the time I met up with Nettie, then Ringo lol I'm amazed I made it through all that crap I pulled and we pulled.

countrygirl
March 15th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Alright, I'm back. Had a few vodkas at a friends memorial service a little while ago. :rolleyes: Any one here ever go to Bogarts on Bailey?

Riven37
March 15th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Alright, I'm back. Had a few vodkas at a friends memorial service a little while ago. :rolleyes: Any one here ever go to Bogarts on Bailey?

I spent time in every bar in Buffalo one time or another...Today I no longer drink now you know why I no longer drink because I drank myself into a stupor back then lol.

Riven37
March 15th, 2008, 09:20 PM

I taken a double take, what you drinking at a memorial service are you a lush or something ? :rolleyes:

I have family lives near Bogarts

countrygirl
March 15th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Ha ha no, it was just to get through it all. The memorial was a sort of drinkin event. Was a lush, now I have it under control:o

countrygirl
March 15th, 2008, 09:24 PM
that joe the bears wasn't it called pappa bears? on west ferry near grant. also down there the office bar lots of country music.

bigpoppapuff
March 15th, 2008, 09:30 PM
that joe the bears wasn't it called pappa bears? on west ferry near grant. also down there the office bar lots of country music.

two different places...joe the bear closed...then reopened as rumplestiltskins....i was the deejay...it was owned by mike biscotto (murdered,i believe) and tony colicchio.who now owns mt pizza...

Riven37
March 15th, 2008, 09:34 PM
two different places...joe the bear closed...then reopened as rumplestiltskins....i was the deejay...it was owned by mike biscotto (murdered,i believe) and tony colicchio.who now owns mt pizza...

Oh, I remember biscotto's murder didn't he get murder at the Big 10 ?? Yeah, rumples, I didn't like it after it reopened.

Riven37
March 15th, 2008, 09:42 PM

What area did you grow up in ????

bigpoppapuff
March 15th, 2008, 09:48 PM
What area did you grow up in ????

north buffalo...then upper west side

Member 2358
March 15th, 2008, 10:40 PM
No offense, because I love you 2358, but I'm glad the Outta Tune Saloon went under. They were jackasses, utter and total jackasses!

-snip-

Glad that joint's a Pier I now. Big improvement.

heh. I see one of the Outta Tune's dueling piano players from time-to-time. He doesn't do that stuff anymore (though he still works for the guy that operated the saloon) -- and he's mellowed lots-n-lots... -n-lots But, I'd be happy to send you over to his place if you wanna slap him or something.

Member 2358
March 15th, 2008, 11:01 PM
I don't remember that, and I live nearby. I'm pretty sure it was still He & She's when it closed. It had previously been called Mother Tuckers, though.

Poorhouse E&W also?

That's closed now?

Rooftops/Salty Dog on Seneca St.
Yeah, He & She's went disco as BackStage (or BackRoom, or BackSeat, or BackLine...something like that). It only lasted maybe a couple to few months. I remember Alan (Adam?, Andy? something like that) the owner saying he was gonna "cash in" on the disco thing. Then it flopped. I was never in it as Back(whatever), so I don't know what it was like. I'd imagine he ripped out the stage and those goofy raised dance floors on each side. It was kinda cool to play there... 'cuz in the breaks y'all could go to the batting cages. Do you recall where the footprint of the place would have been?... like sorta between BJ's & the other strip plaza thing IIRC(?).

All I (wanna) remember about Poor House West is helping to push our truck out of the parking lot at 3am after loadout following a snowstorm. Can't remember the layout, stage, crowd... nothin'. Maybe it's for the best.

Holland Willows is NOT closed... but ain't no rock joint no more. It's a kinda mid-level banquet hall/grove have-your-wedding-reception there sorta place. (Not sure if the bowling alley is still there.)

Harlem World
March 15th, 2008, 11:06 PM
BPP used to take me there when I was a kid, 5 or 6, maybe? I remember the toy train going around the place and the extra seating in the real train car.

Smiley
March 15th, 2008, 11:07 PM
Here's another good one who remembers the Frat days lol Tall, KT, Sigma Fi, Omega Phi Beta, lol Goes hand in hand with the old bar days lol

Omega Phi Beta... Bailey / Kensington area... How about Alfa Phi Sigma. A lot of Burgard HS boys in both

Harlem World
March 15th, 2008, 11:11 PM
alfieri owned the place down the street from Dirty Dick's , I forget that name now , DUH !????! I don't remember binky brown's on Grant or much about alliotta....... AH , The Stuffed Mushroom !

The Stuffed Mushroom "The bar that thinks it's a restaurant, the restaurant that thinks it's a bar"

Hey BPP, I never did any underage drinking there, never ever ever. :D :D :D

mesue
March 15th, 2008, 11:14 PM
I remember JJ Parks on W Ferry, we used to call it Charlie's.

bigpoppapuff
March 15th, 2008, 11:14 PM
The Stuffed Mushroom "The bar that thinks it's a restaurant, the restaurant that thinks it's a bar"

Hey BPP, I never did any underage drinking there, never ever ever. :D :D :D

whew!!!...

liar!!

bigpoppapuff
March 15th, 2008, 11:15 PM

monk,tara,and lots of others...

mesue
March 15th, 2008, 11:16 PM
monk,tara,and lots of others...
It was mentioned already? :o Sorry.
There were a lot of bars to go to around there.

bigpoppapuff
March 15th, 2008, 11:18 PM
It was mentioned already? :o Sorry.
There were a lot of bars to go to around there.

no...i was mentioning two old friends who used to go there.....a lot!!!

Member 2358
March 15th, 2008, 11:21 PM
In the same geographic area as Dirty Dicks & the 'shroom...

Cassidy's. (-cough- Do I hear fire trucks? -cough-)

mesue
March 15th, 2008, 11:22 PM
no...i was mentioning two old friends who used to go there.....a lot!!!
Ah, that was my dad's best bar. They probably knew my dad. We called it Charlie's because Charlie was the owner or something. I used to know the phone number by heart cuz that's where dad was. That was a long time ago.

bigpoppapuff
March 15th, 2008, 11:23 PM
In the same geographic area as Dirty Dicks & the 'shroom...

Cassidy's. (-cough- Do I hear fire trucks? -cough-)

wasn't that the place that you could "spin the wheel"???

bigpoppapuff
March 15th, 2008, 11:24 PM
Ah, that was my dad's best bar. They probably knew my dad. We called it Charlie's because Charlie was the owner or something. I used to know the phone number by heart cuz that's where dad was. That was a long time ago.

monk was mike moore...tara was tara maguire....sadly both are gone...way too soon...

Member 2358
March 15th, 2008, 11:26 PM
The wheel was it's claim to fame. (Though it's gastly loud piped in sound system is what I recall most!) I've heard that the legandary wheel is in some other local bar now.

mesue
March 15th, 2008, 11:28 PM
monk was mike moore...tara was tara maguire....sadly both are gone...way too soon...
So's my dad :(

MERL J
March 15th, 2008, 11:32 PM
The wheel was it's claim to fame. (Though it's gastly loud piped in sound system is what I recall most!) I've heard that the legandary wheel is in some other local bar now.

It was at M C Compton's on Niagara Street for a few years, but the bar is now closed and I believe the wheel was sold at the estate sale - saw it in the inventory.

MERL J
March 15th, 2008, 11:36 PM
okay, here's one not mentioned, but was a real hit when it opened on Genesee Street - or - maybe it wouldn't be mentioned because it was a "club..."

mesue
March 15th, 2008, 11:38 PM
These are all long ago and far away ...
Masthead - almost picked up an off duty cop. It would have been okay except I was underage, but back then the legal age was 18.
The Fight Gallery - yeah that's about it.
Lockwood's - The only time I sunk the 8 ball on break. I didn't even know it won the game at the time.
Irv's Inn - almost got beat up for winning at pool. I'm not even good, she was just mean.
Cavern Tavern - had excellent roast beef.
Ernie's on Grant and Ferry - Had good bartenders
Good Tymes in Depew - you had to be there
Melonie's on Main and Transit, now the Buffalo Brew Pub, the suburban fight gallery.
The Lone Star on Transit rd, a fun place to be.
The old Magruders, before they closed, the ladies room always flooded.

Member 2358
March 15th, 2008, 11:39 PM
It was at M C Compton's on Niagara Street for a few years, but the bar is now closed and I believe the wheel was sold at the estate sale - saw it in the inventory.
Maybe Russ & Joe Salvatore bought it for their place! kidding.

MERL J
March 15th, 2008, 11:41 PM
These are all long ago and far away ...
Masthead - almost picked up an off duty cop. It would have been okay except I was underage, but back then the legal age was 18.
The Fight Gallery - yeah that's about it.
Lockwood's - The only time I sunk the 8 ball on break. I didn't even know it won the game at the time.
Irv's Inn - almost got beat up for winning at pool. I'm not even good, she was just mean.
Cavern Tavern - had excellent roast beef.
Ernie's on Grant and Ferry - Had good bartenders
Good Tymes in Depew - you had to be there
Melonie's on Main and Transit, now the Buffalo Brew Pub, the suburban fight gallery.
The Lone Star on Transit rd, a fun place to be.
The old Magruders, before they closed, the ladies room always flooded.

:eek: :eek: :eek: CAVERN TAVERN! OMG, we used to go in there and get toilet paper out of the ladies' room when we were poor and young......................

MERL J
March 15th, 2008, 11:42 PM
Maybe Russ & Joe Salvatore bought it for their place! kidding.

Hotel or restaurant? :p

Don't ya just love the hotel? :p

mesue
March 15th, 2008, 11:46 PM
oh, the Continental, that was a fun bar back in the day :)
Uncle Sam's - It's my birthday!

Achbek1
March 15th, 2008, 11:58 PM
heh. I see one of the Outta Tune's dueling piano players from time-to-time. He doesn't do that stuff anymore (though he still works for the guy that operated the saloon) -- and he's mellowed lots-n-lots... -n-lots But, I'd be happy to send you over to his place if you wanna slap him or something.

Yeah, that John Valby wannabe crap musta got old. Maybe 10-15 years ago it was still thought funny but that bull**** would be considered harassment now.

And didn't the Mannequins/Outta Tune Whatever building burn down too?

Ech.

bigpoppapuff
March 16th, 2008, 12:08 AM
i played hockey with valby for around three years...he was a helluva good player (hard to believe,huh)....he played in college at middlebury...

Member 2358
March 16th, 2008, 12:11 AM
Yeah, that John Valby wannabe crap musta got old. Maybe 10-15 years ago it was still thought funny but that bull**** would be considered harassment now.

And didn't the Mannequins/Outta Tune Whatever building burn down too?

Ech.
Lessee...

Stage One burned
Point After burned (well, actually, blooo up! What a dope!)
Belle Star burned
Mean Guys West burned
Cassidy's burned
the place on Main & Sheridan burned
Crossbow had a fire
Inferno burned

Hmmmmmm. Pattern?

I didn't think the Three Coins burned... but I can't really remember. i just thought it went banko... was sold... and got 'dozed (and from the sounds of it, you woulda gladly driven the heavy equipment! heheh).

Didn't that place that was in University Plaza (Wise Guys? or 2001 VIP? or something like that(?) burn too? out of noseiness, who owned/ran that?

Achbek1
March 16th, 2008, 12:25 AM
Lessee...

the place on Main & Sheridan burned

Dude, Main & Sheridan don't intersect...

Inferno burned

Now THAT is funny.

Hmmmmmm. Pattern?

I didn't think the Three Coins burned... but I can't really remember. i just thought it went banko... was sold... and got 'dozed (and from the sounds of it, you woulda gladly driven the heavy equipment! heheh).

Didn't that place that was in University Plaza (Wise Guys? or 2001 VIP? or something like that(?) burn too? out of noseiness, who owned/ran that?

-----------

RagnarThePirate
March 16th, 2008, 12:40 AM
Pee Wee's Brown Derby on Broadway.

Member 2358
March 16th, 2008, 12:41 AM
See, first I said this: "the place on Main & Sheridan burned"

Then Achbek1 said this: "Dude, Main & Sheridan don't intersect..."

Now, 'cuz I gotta defend myself in like a sarcastic wise-ass irritating manner, I gotta say this stuff here:

Dude, get in yer car. Get on Sheridan. Drive East. When you get to Main Street, call me.

-or-

Dude, get in yer car. Get on Main. Drive East. When you pass Sheridan, call me.

What I'm trying to say is, yes they does. (And there was some live music bar there that got toasted.)

I know. I know. I'm a PITA. Have your peeps call my peeps. We'll do lunch! heh

Cheers!

mesue
March 16th, 2008, 12:42 AM

Now, 'cuz I gotta defend myself in like a sarcastic wise-ass irritating manner, I gotta say this stuff here:

Dude, get in yer car. Get on Sheridan. Drive East. When you get to Main Street, call me.

-or-

Dude, get in yer car. Get on Main. Drive East. When you get pass Sheridan, call me.

What I'm trying to say is, yes they does.

I know. I know. I'm a PITA. Have your peeps call my peps. We'll do lunch! heh

Cheers!
They meet toward Clarence, if not in Clarence.

Achbek1
March 16th, 2008, 12:49 AM

-or-

What I'm trying to say is, yes they does. (And there was some live music bar there that got toasted.)

Cheers!

Dude, Sheridan Drive is like my Appian Way! I drive it all the time, from the far end of Grand Island Boulevard to where it meets Transit. (Look next time you're on Sheridan, you'll see me. It's a little red car.) But I can't for the life of me picture it intersecting with Main...

???????????????

When you hit Clarence Main connects with Transit... But Sheridan?

Okay, I'm getting really freaked out now. :eek:

Incognito
March 16th, 2008, 12:53 AM
BPP used to take me there when I was a kid, 5 or 6, maybe? I remember the toy train going around the place and the extra seating in the real train car.

I had a party a few years back where we all sat around and named Turgiun(sp) Brothers restaraunts. We knew the location, and remembered the train, but it took us 2 days for someone to remember the name "The Boardwalk".

mesue
March 16th, 2008, 12:53 AM
Dude, Sheridan Drive is like my Appian Way! I drive it all the time, from the far end of Grand Island Boulevard to where it meets Transit. (Look next time you're on Sheridan, you'll see me. It's a little red car.) But I can't for the life of me picture it intersecting with Main...

???????????????

Yup, it's one of those triangle corners.
http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&q=Main+St+%26+Sheridan+Dr,+Clarence,+Erie,+New+Yor k+14031,+United+States&hl=en&cd=2&geocode=0,42.969810,-78.647200&sll=40.09273,-98.76361&sspn=0.006295,0.006295&ll=42.972439,-78.647218&spn=0.011869,0.028925&t=h&z=15&iwloc=addr

Incognito
March 16th, 2008, 12:54 AM

-or-

Cheers!

They meet near Gary's Pools in Clarence.

Member 2358
March 16th, 2008, 12:58 AM

???????????????

Calm down. Get out of your little red car. Sit on the curb. Breath in. Breath out.

Now you're feelin' better, right?

OK.

Drive East on Sheridan. After you go over Transit, you are in Clarence. You'll pass Harris Hill. You'll keep following the asphalt in a sweeping right arc. there's some medical place with a time/temp sign out front. Pretty quickly - 'cuz everybody knows that people with red cars drive really really fast - you will arrive at Main Street. When you do, you'll turn right onto Main to return to civilization 'cuz by now you're starting to fear seeing cows (or people that live in Spaulding Lake)!

Achbek1
March 16th, 2008, 01:12 AM
Calm down. Get out of your little red car. Sit on the curb. Breath in. Breath out.

Now you're feelin' better, right?

OK.

Drive East on Sheridan. After you go over Transit, you are in Clarence. You'll pass Harris Hill. You'll keep following the asphalt in a sweeping right arc. there's some medical place with a time/temp sign out front. Pretty quickly - 'cuz everybody knows that people with red cars drive really really fast - you will arrive at Main Street. When you do, you'll turn right onto Main to return to civilization 'cuz by now you're starting to fear seeing cows (or people that live in Spaulding Lake)!

I love you 2358.

Next time you see me in my little red car, it will have a bumper sticker saying:

__________________________________________________ ___
Following the Asphalt in a Sweeping Right Arc
__________________________________________________ ___

:D

Riven37
March 16th, 2008, 06:34 AM
Omega Phi Beta... Bailey / Kensington area... How about Alfa Phi Sigma. A lot of Burgard HS boys in both

Well, from Bailey and Kensington to Walden Ave to Langfield projects to the edge of Grant St. 250 strong back then that Omega Phi Beta lol Those were the days..

Riven37
March 16th, 2008, 06:36 AM
How about the old Commodore on Geneses St., battle of the bands every month lol

AldenBob
March 16th, 2008, 08:07 AM
No - You could 'spin the wheel' at Cassidy's - Main and Amherst. (probably lots of places I guess.

citymouse
March 16th, 2008, 09:41 AM

I am old enough to remember when Alliota's owner was shot. I was sixteen and we got in under age to see a hot band called "The Allman Brothers". It was their manager that killed him. (Not when we were there).

citymouse
March 16th, 2008, 09:43 AM

So did Louie Mastillo, the actor, he also bar tended at Mulligans on Allen.

speaker
March 16th, 2008, 09:45 AM

???????????????

Big Walgreen's right there.

speaker
March 16th, 2008, 09:47 AM
No - You could 'spin the wheel' at Cassidy's - Main and Amherst. (probably lots of places I guess.

Jello cups, lots of stuff-----too bad about the fire.

How about Johnny's Old Times, in Kenmore? Started in Tonawanda. The vocalist--Lou LaSota, I think What a great time that was.

citymouse
March 16th, 2008, 09:55 AM
A few of my recollections of the Buffalo Bar scene.
The Warlocks and CockRobin at the Barrel head in West Seneca. (Dime beer night every Monday). Rock and Roll Mondays at Mulligans on Allen with The case of Rolling Rock splits packed in ice. Thursday Beatle night at the Masthead on Grant. The bands at Gilligans on Walden.
And the best for last. Summer nights at the Big Ten Club, Bruce Jarvis Out Side Inn, and the old Mickey Rats at the Lake.

bigpoppapuff
March 16th, 2008, 09:59 AM

-or-

Cheers!

yep....correct

bigpoppapuff
March 16th, 2008, 10:01 AM

hey bob.....i was asking about cassidy's....read the posts before you respond...

MERL J
March 16th, 2008, 10:03 AM
I had a party a few years back where we all sat around and named Turgiun(sp) Brothers restaraunts. We knew the location, and remembered the train, but it took us 2 days for someone to remember the name "The Boardwalk".

The strip plaza on Delaware Avenue by Great Arrow - restaurant was closest to the Linden Avenue Train line.

bigpoppapuff
March 16th, 2008, 10:14 AM
The strip plaza on Delaware Avenue by Great Arrow - restaurant was closest to the Linden Avenue Train line.

i mentioned earlier...remember when it was called "the salad bowl"....???

not bars....but how about "your host"..."open house",and "deco"...????

joe d.
March 16th, 2008, 11:18 AM
THERE was a rockin' bar on Grand Island..on the river..I think it was called the EDGEWATER...Thursday nights were the best..$1.00 bottled beer...and man the pickups were easy!:D

bigpoppapuff
March 16th, 2008, 11:23 AM
the cassidy's wheel......wasn't that "freddy's special"????

AldenBob
March 16th, 2008, 04:04 PM
.... it was indeed ....

Achbek1
March 16th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Big Walgreen's right there.

Hardy har har.

But back on topic, the bar that will linger in all us Gen Xer's memories:

the now defunct

ANACONE'S.

I met my future husband there.

citymouse
March 16th, 2008, 05:43 PM
Hardy har har.

But back on topic, the bar that will linger in all us Gen Xer's memories:

the now defunct

ANACONE'S.

Did you Marry him yet, or is it still in the future? Anacones is closed? I used to meet a buddy of mine there for a few now and then back in 1970-71, we worked together and he lived around there. It was his "Local", as the English say.

countrygirl
March 16th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Anacones was on Bailey, right? How about Ray's Antique Tavern? Bailey and Stockbridge

Riven37
March 16th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Anacones was on Bailey, right? How about Ray's Antique Tavern? Bailey and Stockbridge

I knew Ray ( Ray's Antique Tavern) he was one of my drinking buddies at the old Honky Tonk Bar on Bailey Ave...I also hung out at the Sportsmen Bar with the Rare Breed.

wheresthesun
March 16th, 2008, 06:50 PM
ANACONE'S.

As opposed to your current one? :D

Riven37
March 16th, 2008, 06:53 PM
As opposed to your current one? :D

People who meet in bars don't work...I know, I tried it lol After the glass is empty you have a tendency to wake up :eek: "Who are you." ?

countrygirl
March 16th, 2008, 07:06 PM
I worked for Ray for about four weeks one summer, I'm gonna say 90, 91?

winfield31
March 16th, 2008, 07:14 PM
I knew Ray ( Ray's Antique Tavern) he was one of my drinking buddies at the old Honky Tonk Bar on Bailey Ave...I also hung out at the Sportsmen Bar with the Rare Breed. Ray's was down street from Mcguillicutty's (spelling ?) , & of course Midway (corner Bailey/Midway) , then the "Ken Lounge" , owned by a friend of mine who sponsered our ball teams , Tony Marconi , then we used to "hit" "Slomba's" on Fillmore , corner of Rodney , but I don't remember the name of Slomba's before it became that name , anyone know ??

Achbek1
March 16th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Anacone's closed last year. The bar had held on as long as it could but some said the fact the neighborhood had grown more and more violent may have had something to do with it.

Actually, Anacone's and its history are mentioned in a lot of Buffalo blogs.

Apparently it did have its glory days back when it catered to clientele from the old factories, now gone too.

The following excerpt is from http://home.digitalcity.com/buffalo/bars/anacones-inn/v-107566977

"Free Beer Tomorrow" reads a well polished brass sign behind the bar. That may keep the Homer Simpsons of this town coming back, but others are drawn by more realistic charms. Anacone's (rhymes with "condones") has been in the same spot on the Bailey strip since 1967, when Dave Anacone's bar thrived on clientele from Harrison Radiator and other neighborhood companies. Relic of that era, a yellowed placard offering the workingman's special: a draft of Genny and a shot of Grande Canadian. The nearest big employer now is the University at Buffalo's South Campus, whose med school and architecture students, not to mention undergrads who shirk the Greekish University Heights scene, call this their hangout of choice. After growing up in the apartment above the bar, Mark Anacone took over the business from his father, whose beside burned face looks out from behind the bar and a drum kit in a couple of prominently displayed photos. Look closely and you'll find a crayon drawing of him, too, which years of tobacco smoke have made look like a Clifford Still painting from the Albright Knox. Every once in a while Dave Anacone and the Bebop All Stars get booked to play a smoking set of traditional jazz in the back room. Occasionally, so does another band (The Red Gills are frequently that band, but there are others); otherwise, you can appreciate an abundance of tables, cheap pool, and a well stocked but not-too-loud jukebox. Open every day from 11-4, Anacone's serves beef on weck and some other sandwich favorites. Drinks are reasonably priced, making this a great option for a drink with friends, today or, for free beer, tomorrow. --Stephen Gingerich

By the way, it's the SAME husband :D We have been together for 11 happy years now (married for six of those.)

...Trust me, no one else could put up with me and no one else could put up with him. ;) :D

Note: Google Anacone's and you'll get more hits. The place is now a "legend."

ralph
March 16th, 2008, 08:20 PM
I believe Kevin Elliott had a place called Barrafatto's.
Another good place in S.B. was Mudd McGrath's and Danny Boys.

HipKat
March 16th, 2008, 09:58 PM

I've been in all but 4 of them....!

winfield31
March 16th, 2008, 10:15 PM
I've been in all but 4 of them....! you know I was never really a big drinker , but I actually have been in all but 2 of those bars...........BTW , good web-site/research bpp !

Smiley
March 16th, 2008, 11:00 PM
Well, from Bailey and Kensington to Walden Ave to Langfield projects to the edge of Grant St. 250 strong back then that Omega Phi Beta lol Those were the days..

You're right..... those were the days. Did you go to Burgard? I lived 2 blocks from Langfield.. We must be about the same age.

Smiley
March 16th, 2008, 11:04 PM

Those were my favorites. Along with Augies on the corner of La Salle and Bailey.

Harlem World
March 16th, 2008, 11:07 PM

It was Baracini's on Union Road across from Holiday Theaters.

boomeriam
March 16th, 2008, 11:09 PM

Holland Willows
knickerbockers across from Sam's was live rock on Fri/Sat.

Played in all of these places. Million years ago. Ugh!
The bar where the Buffalo Brew Pub is now used to be a topless bar in the early 60's.I dont remember ever being a bar where TGIF's is now on main and transit. I do remember an A&P there in the late 60's. Lived around the corner for 50 years now.
I think Uncle Sams had like a 200 foot bar? It was in an old lumber yard building.

HipKat
March 17th, 2008, 12:48 AM
I thought the Salty Dog was the nbame before it was the Skyroom on Seneca.

BTW, Peoria does not have bars like that.
Corner joints, gin mills, old man bars with live music on the weekends.
They do not exist.
Just one MORE reason to hate it here....

Riven37
March 17th, 2008, 07:54 AM
You're right..... those were the days. Did you go to Burgard? I lived 2 blocks from Langfield.. We must be about the same age.

No, I went to Kensington High. I played football there with Jim Burt, well he played with me lol.

countrygirl
March 17th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Erin Go Braugh everyone!!!!:D

Member 2358
March 17th, 2008, 10:40 AM
The bar where the Buffalo Brew Pub is now used to be a topless bar in the early 60's.I dont remember ever being a bar where TGIF's is now on main and transit. I do remember an A&P there in the late 60's. Lived around the corner for 50 years now.
I think Uncle Sams had like a 200 foot bar? It was in an old lumber yard building.
Yankee Whaler... later the Salty Dog... was located in the same structure as TGIF's but just to West -- kinda in the middle of the Main Street face of the building.

KipKat... You are correct the name Salty Dog was ressurected. The Salty Dog to which I'm referring was in the late 70's (maybe even into the early 80's?)... That might pre-date your patronage(?).

knowsitall
March 17th, 2008, 12:05 PM
was my favorite. probably cost me about two grade points while in college. BTW, the wheel is at the Steer restaurant I believe.
As I knew all the workers there, and Andy the owner, I spent A LOT of time there. They told me to NEVER drink the free shots because it was just leftover crap that they had sitting around the place. Once I was on the bar pouring the shots and I ran out of the crap so I started pouring scotch in everybody's mouth. Now THAT got some attention.
Cassidy's is having a big reunion party the first Saturday in August at Gabels! Send me a PM if you want the skinny!

speaker
March 17th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Oh! Gabel's! And remember the Hotel California?

countrygirl
March 17th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Anyone remeber Classics the one on Walden? The big white horse hanging out side ? Kevin Thomas owned it when I went there .

JustRetired
March 17th, 2008, 03:54 PM
No, I went to Kensington High. I played football there with Jim Burt, well he played with me lol.

What year did you graduate? I was the class of '67.

Kensington, thy sons and daughters hail thee,
To green and gold, are hearts be ever true.
that's all I remember...lol

citymouse
March 17th, 2008, 04:27 PM

I hung around Mudd McGraths In pretty much most of it's incarnations. Pangel's, Burst's, Coleran's, Cleary's, Mudd's and Coughlin's. I could walk there from my house, or more often, walk home from there. It was the closest bar to where I live.
I was heart broken when they tore it down. Particularly because they tore it down to build a new rite aide to replace the old rite aide that they took the ounce and 1/2 down for.
Now there was a South Buffalo Bar, the old Ounce. Talk about legendary Buffalo Bars. That place had more character (not to mention characters) than any where mentioned so far. Before they tore it down, it was the closest bar to my house.
No wonder I hate Rite Aide.

citymouse
March 17th, 2008, 04:31 PM
I am also surprized no one mentioned Talty's on South Park and Sheffield. They say it's the closest thing Buffalo has to the bar featured in the first Star Wars movie.
I like the place.

Riven37
March 17th, 2008, 04:42 PM
What year did you graduate? I was the class of '67.

Kensington, thy sons and daughters hail thee,
To green and gold, are hearts be ever true.
that's all I remember...lol

I came in 66' play football in 67, with guys like Paul Tripi, Dave Salotta (sp), Ken Burns, Jim Beaver, Rod Richardson, Jim Burt, many other I can't remember. I quite school due to fighting lost my scholarship to play football, and I was blamed for burring down the main office lol. Such a joke that was...Doug Page did that one he's dead now going on 30 years.

bigpoppapuff
March 17th, 2008, 05:21 PM

riv...jim burt,who played for the ny giants...???

not possible....he's around 8 years younger than you and only went to orchard park....he played with craig wolfley and larry pfohl....we used to lift together at sports and fitness clinic...

bigpoppapuff
March 17th, 2008, 06:55 PM
wikipedia

James P. Burt (born June 7, 1959 in Orchard Park, New York) is a former American football player who played for the New York Giants and San Francisco 49ers in the National Football League (NFL). Burt played nose tackle for the Giants team that won Super Bowl XXI and the 49ers team that won Super Bowl XXIV.

Burt attended the University of Miami, where he stared on the football field for the Hurricanes and was eventually inducted into the University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame.

Burt joined the Giants as an undrafted free agent in 1981. He made the Pro Bowl in 1986 and finished his career with his 20 quarterback sacks. Burt was respected throughout the league for his toughness and determination, which resulted in him going from being an undrafted rookie free agent to a Pro Bowler. He is also known for knocking out 49ers quarterback Joe Montana on a pass in the 1986 Divisional Playoff game. Montana's pass was picked off and returned for a touchdown by Giants linebacker Lawrence Taylor. The Giants won, 49-3, on their way to winning Super Bowl XXI.

Although many people often credit Harry Carson and Lawrence Taylor with inventing the "Gatorade Shower" on coaches following wins, Burt actually created it in 1985.[3] As Carson stated in his 1987 book Point of Attack:The Defense Strikes Back head coach Bill Parcells was especially hard on Burt in practice. Parcells often made Burt raise a 50 lb. dumbbell repeatedly off the ground in practice to simulate raising his arm powerfully out of his stance at the snap of the ball. Burt exacted revenge on Parcells after a win in 1985 by dousing him with a cooler of Gatorade. This has since become a tradition in football analogous to the champagne showers teams make in their locker rooms after winning a championship.

Burt battled back problems with the New York Giants which ultimately caused Parcells to announce his retirement in 1988.[2] Burt however disagreed and signed with the 49ers where he played until his career ended in 1991.

During the 2006 season Burt travelled to Dallas to give moral support to his former tormentor Parcells who was then head coach of the Dallas Cowboys. Burt also delivered a pre-game speech and stood on the sidelines exulting Dallas' defensive players.[2]

Burt's son Jim Burt, Jr. followed in his father's footsteps and also went to Miami, but played collegiate baseball rather than football for the Hurricanes.

Burt has been a resident of Saddle River, New Jersey

Jim played high school football in Orchard Park N.Y., his teammates included Craig Wolfley who played offensive lineman with the Pittsburgh Steelers and Larry Pfohl(Lex Luger).

HipKat
March 17th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Yankee Whaler... later the Salty Dog... was located in the same structure as TGIF's but just to West -- kinda in the middle of the Main Street face of the building.

HipKat... You are correct the name Salty Dog was ressurected. The Salty Dog to which I'm referring was in the late 70's (maybe even into the early 80's?)... That might pre-date your patronage(?).It must not have been long, because I was going to the Skyroom in the late 80's.
BTW, there was another bar on Transit, near Walden that had live bands, and I can never remember the name.
It was on the east side of the road, right in that area.

HipKat
March 17th, 2008, 08:30 PM
I used to go to Barraffatos.
Another one, can't remember exactly where it was in the city, was Rhino's, and of course the old Desiderios.

bigpoppapuff
March 17th, 2008, 08:38 PM
I used to go to Barraffatos.
Another one, can't remember exactly where it was in the city, was Rhino's, and of course the old Desiderios.

where was berrafato's...they had a hot dog place on main st in clarence....i don't know of any other...

HipKat
March 17th, 2008, 08:44 PM
where was berrafato's...they had a hot dog place on main st in clarence....i don't know of any other...
Maybe I'm confusing names, becasue my kid's mom worked at barrafatos on Main just before we moved here!! lol

bigpoppapuff
March 17th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Maybe I'm confusing names, becasue my kid's mom worked at barrafatos on Main just before we moved here!! lol

berrafato's was a good sized hot dog place on main st in clarence...not sure if they owned anything else....

baracini's was owned by kevin elliott...it was on union across from the holiday theaters...

citizenpain
March 17th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Shadrack's.

bigpoppapuff
March 17th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Shadrack's.

didn't gerry gradl own it??.....

HipKat
March 17th, 2008, 10:02 PM
berrafato's was a good sized hot dog place on main st in clarence...not sure if they owned anything else....

baracini's was owned by kevin elliott...it was on union across from the holiday theaters...
I knew Tom, the owner in High School. I was shocked to hear he closed it.

bigpoppapuff
March 17th, 2008, 10:08 PM
I knew Tom, the owner in High School. I was shocked to hear he closed it.

i thought beraffato's was still open....maybe not....i know they close during the winter....i'll drive by and see...

HipKat
March 17th, 2008, 10:23 PM
i thought beraffato's was still open....maybe not....i know they close during the winter....i'll drive by and see...

They do, but I heard he closed permantly

therising
March 18th, 2008, 12:16 AM
Berafato's (sp??) is closed. Mississippi Mud's is owned by same guy.

HK - Transit/Walden-- Gee Willikers? (sp?)

Smiley
March 18th, 2008, 12:19 AM
didn't gerry gradl own it??.....

I know Gerry owned a car dealership on Bailey Ave, which is now on Millersport Hwy. Is it the same Gerry?

bigpoppapuff
March 18th, 2008, 12:22 AM
I know Gerry owned a car dealership on Bailey Ave, which is now on Millersport Hwy. Is it the same Gerry?

yeah....he's in florida now,but i think he had something to do with shadrack's,as well...

i think his son runs the dealership now...

bigpoppapuff
March 18th, 2008, 12:23 AM
Berafato's (sp??) is closed. Mississippi Mud's is owned by same guy.

HK - Transit/Walden-- Gee Willikers? (sp?)

yep...they do own "mudd's".....

Jazz
March 18th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Hey BPP did I miss it or did you mention Ray Flynn's?;)

bigpoppapuff
March 18th, 2008, 12:27 PM
Hey BPP did I miss it or did you mention Ray Flynn's?;)

i don't think anyone did......boo-hoo-hoo...i miss that place...

Jazz
March 18th, 2008, 12:32 PM
i don't think anyone did......boo-hoo-hoo...i miss that place...

Show tunes anyone??

bigpoppapuff
March 18th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Show tunes anyone??

if a huge ensemble piece broke out at any time.....would you have been surprised??.....not I..!!!!

Jazz
March 18th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Funniest night was also before the Taste of Buffalo because all the local theatre people were exhausted from having to set up for their day jobs!

winfield31
March 18th, 2008, 01:12 PM
This is a LONGGGG thread & I did not catch every post , but did anyone mention "Frank's Casa Nova" , "Flay's" , "New Colonie Lounge" , "Sveedees" , I mean all the men in here should remember these strip joints ? Oh & that place on the small hill at Tonawanda & Amherst St. , I forget the name , only "Sveedees" remains & of course is called "Club Chit Chat" , last of the strip bars within the city limits I believe , unless the "Colonie" still exists ?

Riven37
March 18th, 2008, 01:44 PM
This is a LONGGGG thread & I did not catch every post , but did anyone mention "Frank's Casa Nova" , "Flay's" , "New Colonie Lounge" , "Sveedees" , I mean all the men in here should remember these strip joints ? Oh & that place on the small hill at Tonawanda & Amherst St. , I forget the name , only "Sveedees" remains & of course is called "Club Chit Chat" , last of the strip bars within the city limits I believe , unless the "Colonie" still exists ?

No lol...I lived near Franks Casa Nova, and went there often to see Busty Russell...She was such a nice women always friendly to me. I lost contact with here through the years...I wonder is she even still alive ??

winfield31
March 18th, 2008, 01:49 PM
No lol...I lived near Franks Casa Nova, and went there often to see Busty Russell...She was such a nice women always friendly to me. I lost contact with here through the years...I wonder is she even still alive ?? riv , I remember going to "Frank's" as an 18 year old & watching a cute young pretty blond about my age . I felt that here was some guy's young daughter up there being ogled & degraded & have never liked going to these places..........But peer pressure when I was younger forced me to go a few times..............;)

HipKat
March 18th, 2008, 02:10 PM
I'm not real big onj the strip bars either.
I did used to go to Colnie once in a while, since I lived right up the street, but that was more when the old man owned it.

Shame what happened to him.

REGGIE24
July 22nd, 2012, 12:53 AM
I remember the Bryant and Stratton mixers their on Monday nites in 1970.

mgvet
April 2nd, 2013, 04:04 PM

Sue,
I saw your post, from several years ago, regarding JJ Parkes tavern on West Ferry. Could you give me ant details about the tavern, It was owned by a family friend and my family used to work at the tavern.
Thanks,
Mike

CryogenicQueen
January 15th, 2014, 10:38 PM
I was at one @Beaver Island State Park in 1971.

January 15th, 2014, 11:01 PM

Wally Bobecks - burnt to the ground in the mid 90's - story goes he keep fighting to get inside while it was burning - cops had to haul him away - later it was said he had about five or six suit cases on the second floor filled with cash - when the fire was put out about the only thing standing was part of the actual bar.

What was "Good Bar" on Elmwood and forest called prior to Good Bar ?

duke5751
January 17th, 2014, 12:45 PM
After spot for Timon/Mount mercy dances. Seemed classy at the time, with red leather seats and padding all around, I think.
Drinking there at age 16, with some kind of very shaky proof. Probably drank Schmidts.

Also, not really a party bar, but the Lucky Strike lanes on Abbott was a great place to spend a Sat. Afternoon bowling and drinking pitchers of Genny - again, age 15 or 16.
My buddy, Jack, used to collect just enough on Saturdays on his paper route to have beer money.
At that time you could drink a lot on $3 or so.

CallodineKid
December 17th, 2014, 09:31 AM
I moved out of WNY 18 years ago and was wondering if Ginnys Place on East Ferry was still opened and what it is like today. Whenever I visit WNY, I always try to hit up the older establishments. Sometimes, it might not always be safe though. Sucks.

buffy
December 17th, 2014, 01:25 PM
It's still there, and appears to still be in business...saw it on google street view. 1149 East Fery.